Upper Management

Discussion in 'People' started by Dave, Mar 29, 2007.

1. Dave

Dave

Feb 7, 2007
    Suwanee, GA
    A shot I was asked to take today of some upper management men at our company. I used my D50 and 50 f/1.8 lens @ 1.8.

Here's the straight out of the camera conversion to .jpg in NX:
    [​IMG]

Here is the tweaked version out of Capture NX after I brightened it up a bit.
    [​IMG]

Which do you like better?

2. The second is way better. You can hardly make out details on the men's faces on the first. A little flash goes a long way in the shot like this...

3. Walter

Walter

Jan 13, 2006
    Columbia, Maryland
    Walter Rowe
    The second version is better. Too bad there is clutter in the foreground.

4. Dave

Dave

Feb 7, 2007
    Suwanee, GA
    Yeah, if I had an external flash (it's on the to buy list) I would have bounced it off the ceiling. I tried to use the onboard flash, but it didn't work very well as they were all squinting when it went off and was not very natural (that and I like natural light better).

As for the clutter in the foreground, it is kind of there as product placement but can easily be cropped out if need be. Is this better?
    [​IMG]

Thanks for looking and for the C&C.

5. yes.. that's better

6. Walter

Walter

Jan 13, 2006
    Columbia, Maryland
    Walter Rowe
    It really depends on the purpose of the photograph. If it is meant to be a portrait of the people, the clutter removed is much better. If it is meant to show the people and their product(s), the products could be better arranged so they are completely within the frame. Either way, there should be a clean break at the bottom edge of the frame.

7. BigPixel

BigPixel Guest

Tough assignment! Both Caucasian and Black skin tones under florescent light no doubt and no fill flash. This intrigued me to see what might be there and so I edited your pic, hope you don't mind. I was going for a better skin tone and balance here, also tried to separate the guys from the background more. I realize I blew the highlights in the shirts. :rolleyes: but it could have been avoided. This was a quick edit.

A little levels & curves, some adjustments in Lab, desaturated the reds about 12% as most camera's seem to produce jpegs that are oversaturated in red, to my eye at least. I also desaturated the yellow abouy 3% as it was throwing the black skin tone off. Finally I resharpened the bottom edit for web with PKS.

uppermgmt_800_cr.

8. Seneca

Seneca

Dec 4, 2006
    Texas!
    Definately the tweaked version. Good job.

9. Dave

Dave

Feb 7, 2007
    Suwanee, GA
    I don't mind at all Mike...and I appreciate the help. I was thinking that the subject on the left was a little too red in the head, if you know what I mean and I didn't even think about dropping the red levels yesterday afternoon. Seeing your edited copy has made me to decide to go back and re-work the original RAW file. Here is what I have come up with now editing it in NX.

[​IMG]

And this compared to my original edit of the picture:
    [​IMG]

10. Dave

Dave

Feb 7, 2007
    Suwanee, GA
    Yeah it is meant to be a portrait of the 4 men. Therefore the crop definitely does work better. I wasn't really even thinking about the fact that I should have cropped it...duh. What I wouldn't have given for an SB-400 and the 35 f/2 lens for this shot...

11. BigPixel

BigPixel Guest

better Dave but it still looks a little too saturated in red on my system. Probably a difference in monitors and calibration. It was a difficult shot to balance. WB notwithstanding, you had two haoles; one with a ruddy red complexion (L) and another almost white as a ghost (R). Add two black skin tones under weird lighting and it was a toughie for sure.

Best bet next time would be a custom WB even if shooting raw and also using a strobe for fill light.

12. nipprdog

nipprdog

Jun 8, 2006
    IN
    Same here.