UPS Frustrations

I bought a used Z50 from a person, who lives in New Jersey, with a high rating on Fred Miranda. The seller took the package to a UPS store the very next day and sent me tracking info that said the package would be delivered Friday, the 18th. The package made it as far as Hodgkins, Ill at 5:27 a.m. on the 16th. On the 16th at 10:00 p.m. I got the following message, "We were unable to dispatch the trailer on time. This may cause a delay." There was not update on estimated arrival time. Then on the 17th at 1:10 p.m. it says the package departed the facility, with still no updated estimated delivery information. That is the last update on the package. It still shows that it is in transit and says to check back later for estimated delivery info. I called UPS and they told me to file a lost package claim. I did that yesterday but have still heard nothing. Do you think it's just because it is the weekend? I've never had a UPS package get lost or stalled like this before.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
That's unusual enough that either situation is possible, that something went wrong with displaying the revised delivery date or that the package is lost. If it was me, I wouldn't have bothered filing a lost package claim until Tuesday, so you're already ahead of where I would have been.
The seller insured the package for the full selling price so I'm covered there. I just am hoping it shows up at my door tomorrow.

I feel your pain, Terri. I think I had a similar situation once, but it is a vague memory. Like you, I have never had a UPS shipment completely disappear. I would counsel patience for a couple more days.

I recently had a similar problem with USPS. I purchased a Nikon ES-1 slide copier attachment from an EBay seller in California a couple of weeks ago. I got a tracking number within 24 hours, but then it sat in a post office in California for over a week before it actually started moving. But then it arrived within 24 hours.

Butlerkid

Cafe Ambassador
Administrator
Real Name
Karen
I've had similar problems with USPS! Took over a week for the package to get to the West Coast.....then sat in a facility for 4 days (non holiday time) before it made it to its destination....only about 100 miles away. ????

I feel your pain, Terri. I think I had a similar situation once, but it is a vague memory. Like you, I have never had a UPS shipment completely disappear. I would counsel patience for a couple more days.

I recently had a similar problem with USPS. I purchased a Nikon ES-1 slide copier attachment from an EBay seller in California a couple of weeks ago. I got a tracking number within 24 hours, but then it sat in a post office in California for over a week before it actually started moving. But then it arrived within 24 hours.
We are supposed to leave Tuesday a.m. for a few days in Teton Park. I hope it comes before then. My suspicion is that the package is in Salt Lake City waiting to be processed. Our packages always come from there. I've found that USPS does a terrible job with their tracking info.

Butlerkid

Cafe Ambassador
Administrator
Real Name
Karen
It's so frustrating. USPS is worse than UPS, IMHO.
It truly depends on where you live and the local services. In general, I've had very few problems with USPS...only the one that I can remember. Where we lived in Calif, Fed Ex was much better than UPS. Here ini Tn, UPS is better than Fed Ex. Price-wise, USPS is usually the best value, even if they are a day or two longer in deliveries.

USPS is worse than UPS, IMHO.
Earlier this year I bought some gear from someone here at the Cafe, though I don't remember who, that lives in the Chicago area. He and I watched the tracking information for several days as the package went back and forth from the local facility to the regional facility before it finally broke through that continuous loop and made its way out of Chicago toward my home in northern Virginia.

Lesson learned....don't buy something right before you want to go out of town....I guess I thought 10 days before was early enough. But, I guess not!!

Hi Terri,

FWIW, my latest B&H order made to the FedEx center in Newark and then fell into a black hole. B&H finally shipped a new order but the end result was two extra weeks without the needed equipment. So much for 'free expedited shipping'!

Sean

I have always maintained USPS charges are a combination of mailing fees and storage fees, with mailing fees being 10% and storage fees being 90%. I avoid them like the plague.

UPS VS FEDEX? FEDEX Is the clear winner in my mind, after hearing stories about the “UPS soccer team”, especially in TX.

Hi Terri,

FWIW, my latest B&H order made to the FedEx center in Newark and then fell into a black hole. B&H finally shipped a new order but the end result was two extra weeks without the needed equipment. So much for 'free expedited shipping'!

Sean
Yikes!! Dishonest people might see those B&H boxes and know that there is something good in there!!

Earlier this year I bought some gear from someone here at the Cafe, though I don't remember who, that lives in the Chicago area. He and I watched the tracking information for several days as the package went back and forth from the local facility to the regional facility before it finally broke through that continuous loop and made its way out of Chicago toward my home in northern Virginia.
You would think that Chicago to Virginia would be fairly quick. That's crazy that it went back and forth between a local and regional facility.

I'm happy with the big 3—UPS, USPS and FedEx, all seem to get stuff here on time. Depending on the class of delivery stuff may sit in a trailer over the week end, so we usually make sure to account for that in the summer. What I don't like is Flex-Post, where UPS delivers to USPS, who does the local delivery—often adds 2 days to the shipment.

Right now during the pandemic, all the mail/package delivery services have had more than usual to handle. The US Post Office has its own issues, with internal strife and such, too, which doesn't help matters. The pandemic, especially early-on, has resulted in many more people ordering much more online than in the past, so that there is significantly more demand, more workload, more packages -- kind of like the Christmas holiday shopping season but all the time now, ever since the middle of the year!

I've ordered from Amazon and other places and have had only one brief glitch, which was with the US Post Office, but thankfully that package did show up the next day after all. I'm an Amazon Prime member and have had no issues with speedy delivery when it's being delivered by Amazon, but sometimes the other services will take longer.

I hope your package arrives safely before your trip, Terri!

I'm happy with the big 3—UPS, USPS and FedEx, all seem to get stuff here on time. Depending on the class of delivery stuff may sit in a trailer over the week end, so we usually make sure to account for that in the summer. What I don't like is Flex-Post, where UPS delivers to USPS, who does the local delivery—often adds 2 days to the shipment.
That’s probably what is happening with my package....it’s sitting over the weekend.

Right now during the pandemic, all the mail/package delivery services have had more than usual to handle. The US Post Office has its own issues, with internal strife and such, too, which doesn't help matters. The pandemic, especially early-on, has resulted in many more people ordering much more online than in the past, so that there is significantly more demand, more workload, more packages -- kind of like the Christmas holiday shopping season but all the time now, ever since the middle of the year!

I've ordered from Amazon and other places and have had only one brief glitch, which was with the US Post Office, but thankfully that package did show up the next day after all. I'm an Amazon Prime member and have had no issues with speedy delivery when it's being delivered by Amazon, but sometimes the other services will take longer.

I hope your package arrives safely before your trip, Terri!
Thanks Connie. I know about COVID problems. I work for an online clothing company that makes graphic tees. We have had so many orders lately that we can’t keep up. It causes a whole host of problems. I’m not upset about my order. Just a little frustrated that they can’t tell me where the package is or when to expect it.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom