UPS Frustrations

Hodgkins, IL (a Chicago suburb) is where UPS typically load trailers onto trains going west bound. Not sure where the trailer can be offloaded from the train since it likely on a BNSF train. It should show up late tonight or early in the morning at some west coast location. It might still make a Tuesday delivery but it should at least then show an expect date.

In one of your above post, you mentioned Salt Lake City, Union Pacific can also pick up trailers at Hodgkin, IL and drop them off at Salt Lake City. Don’t know if it can get from there to you by early Tuesday.

Last edited:
Frustrating!! I ordered a custom printed shirt and water bottle for my wife for her birthday. Giving myself 3 weeks of lead time seemed like enough of a cushion until I watched my UPS tracking follow the package from Houston to Tampa to Baltimore! to Orlando back to Baltimore!!! back to Tampa and finally delivered to my home with just 1 day to spare. :eek: It was maddening to watch!

I bet your camera will just show up unannounced.

I've occasionally had various problems over the years. A B&H order got lost (nothing big - just a filter if I remember correctly) and they filed a claim and sent another one which arrived in a couple days. Ten days later (something like 3 weeks after the initial order) the original order arrived. B&H sent me a label and I shipped it back.

I once ordered an item from overseas and the seller sent it with full tracking through USPS. We watched it arrive in New York, sit in a warehouse there for a week or so, then go to the St. Paul sorting facility (I even had a scan of the item when it arrived in St. Paul), and then disappear. Multiple emails and calls. First they claimed that they had delivered it, then they claimed that it was addressed wrong (the scan showed it perfectly correct), then they claimed that it was somehow my fault for not packaging it correctly. Of the people I talked to and corresponded with, nobody seemed to really care or accept responsibility. It was classic deflect and delay till the customer gives up. Since it was mailed from outside the US and had scanned in the US, the country where it was mailed said it wasn't their problem and since I wasn't the sender, USPS said they wouldn't reimburse me.

Anyway hoping it shows up for you Terri!

LyndeeLoo

Administrator
Administrator
I understand the frustration, and I am sorry it’s happening to you. I recently sent a package to a friend of mine who lives overseas. While I understand that my situation is different from yours in terms of my package having to go through customs, I sent the package USPS, and It took two solid months for my friend to receive what I sent her. There was no one to call to find out if it was stuck in customs, or was lost by the receiving carrier. And even with a tracking number, I couldn’t even tell whether the package was still in the United States; there was no updated info on the USPS tracking site.

I certainly hope your package arrives soon. Keep positive thoughts...

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Thank you all for sharing your experiences. I'm definitely not alone. I'll have someone watch for the package if it is not here when we leave. It would have been fun to have the camera on the trip, but not essential. I have plenty of other gear. My D5600 has been sold so I won't have a small camera for hiking, but I've hiked with the Z6 before and it isn't too bad. You are all so nice to empathize with me!!

I understand the frustration, and I am sorry it’s happening to you. I recently sent a package to a friend of mine who lives overseas. While I understand that my situation is different from yours in terms of my package having to go through customs, I sent the package USPS, and It took two solid months for my friend to receive what I sent her. There was no one to call to find out if it was stuck in customs, or was lost by the receiving carrier. And even with a tracking number, I couldn’t even tell whether the package was still in the United States; there was no updated info on the USPS tracking site.

I certainly hope your package arrives soon. Keep positive thoughts...
That's tough.

I've occasionally had various problems over the years. A B&H order got lost (nothing big - just a filter if I remember correctly) and they filed a claim and sent another one which arrived in a couple days. Ten days later (something like 3 weeks after the initial order) the original order arrived. B&H sent me a label and I shipped it back.

I once ordered an item from overseas and the seller sent it with full tracking through USPS. We watched it arrive in New York, sit in a warehouse there for a week or so, then go to the St. Paul sorting facility (I even had a scan of the item when it arrived in St. Paul), and then disappear. Multiple emails and calls. First they claimed that they had delivered it, then they claimed that it was addressed wrong (the scan showed it perfectly correct), then they claimed that it was somehow my fault for not packaging it correctly. Of the people I talked to and corresponded with, nobody seemed to really care or accept responsibility. It was classic deflect and delay till the customer gives up. Since it was mailed from outside the US and had scanned in the US, the country where it was mailed said it wasn't their problem and since I wasn't the sender, USPS said they wouldn't reimburse me.

Anyway hoping it shows up for you Terri!
That sounds like a frustrating experience. Glad I don't have to ship or receive anything from overseas.

Frustrating!! I ordered a custom printed shirt and water bottle for my wife for her birthday. Giving myself 3 weeks of lead time seemed like enough of a cushion until I watched my UPS tracking follow the package from Houston to Tampa to Baltimore! to Orlando back to Baltimore!!! back to Tampa and finally delivered to my home with just 1 day to spare. :eek: It was maddening to watch!

Wow, three weeks! I hope my package doesn't take that long.

Hodgkins, IL (a Chicago suburb) is where UPS typically load trailers onto trains going west bound. Not sure where the trailer can be offloaded from the train since it likely on a BNSF train. It should show up late tonight or early in the morning at some west coast location. It might still make a Tuesday delivery but it should at least then show an expect date.

In one of your above post, you mentioned Salt Lake City, Union Pacific can also pick up trailers at Hodgkin, IL and drop them off at Salt Lake City. Don’t know if it can get from there to you by early Tuesday.
I recently read that they take trailers from Illinois west by train. That's interesting. I still have hopes that it will arrive soon.

UPS VS FEDEX? FEDEX Is the clear winner in my mind...
I've had mostly good experiences with all of them but FedEx recently hosed me on a shipment that should have taken 3 days--they managed to turn it into 3+ weeks. Their tracking was useless as well. First they showed the expected arrival date, then there was an exception, then nothing, then, again, in transit. For. Ever. The tracker still showed in transit for about 5 days after I had finally received the package. Good thing it was nothing all that important.

I've had mostly good experiences with all of them but FedEx recently hosed me on a shipment that should have taken 3 days--they managed to turn it into 3+ weeks. Their tracking was useless as well. First they showed the expected arrival date, then there was an exception, then nothing, then, again, in transit. For. Ever. The tracker still showed in transit for about 5 days after I had finally received the package. Good thing it was nothing all that important.
I'm like you. Good experiences till now. And this one isn't that late.....yet!! Considering the millions of items they move every day it's bound to happen. Just wish it could have happened on an order that wasn't a camera that I am excited about getting!

Had similar.
Item shipped from the east coast to LA (why?), then to Chicago (WHY?), then finally to SF. :confused:
It was like they put the box into a random shipping container.

Real Name
Ken
As mentioned, Hodgkins is a transit hub and a bit of a black hole for UPS. I have frequently had packages "stall out" there, but they do tend to show up, usually a day or two late. Teh most I can remember is about a week delay.

Good luck,

--Ken

Had similar.
Item shipped from the east coast to LA (why?), then to Chicago (WHY?), then finally to SF. :confused:
It was like they put the box into a random shipping container.
As mentioned, Hodgkins is a transit hub and a bit of a black hole for UPS. I have frequently had packages "stall out" there, but they do tend to show up, usually a day or two late. Teh most I can remember is about a week delay.

Good luck,

--Ken
Thank you both for sharing your experiences. I'm crossing my fingers I get an update tomorrow!!

Checked my UPS package status this morning and it's loaded on the Delivery Vehicle to be delivered today. There were no updates between Illinois and Idaho Falls, but however it got here, I'm relieved. We should be good to go on our little trip tomorrow (as long as Greg's hip feels good enough and the smoke isn't a huge issue). At the very least, I'll have a new (to me) camera to play with.

Checked my UPS package status this morning and it's loaded on the Delivery Vehicle to be delivered today. There were no updates between Illinois and Idaho Falls, but however it got here, I'm relieved. We should be good to go on our little trip tomorrow (as long as Greg's hip feels good enough and the smoke isn't a huge issue). At the very least, I'll have a new (to me) camera to play with.
Great news. It's a neat little camera. Several review sites talk about it as a 'mini Z6' but I don't find it so. What distinguishes the Z50 for me is the compact size and exceptional IQ. JPEG's from it are particularly nice and some of the best I've seen from Nikon.

Did you get one or both the the Z DX lenses?

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom