UPS Frustrations

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Great news. It's a neat little camera. Several review sites talk about it as a 'mini Z6' but I don't find it so. What distinguishes the Z50 for me is the compact size and exceptional IQ. JPEG's from it are particularly nice and some of the best I've seen from Nikon.

Did you get one or both the the Z DX lenses?
I am getting the 16-50 kit lens. The very lightly used one I found only had the one lens with it. There are some used 50-250 lenses on MPB. I may pick one of those up, but I do already have the 70-300 f4.5-5.6 AF-P that I use on my Z6 with the FTZ. I thought I would see how I like that one before I pick up a 50-250, but I am thinking that I'll probably want the lighter weight native lens. I also have a 35 f1.8 DX lens that I will want to use on it with the FTZ.

Camera is here. We are getting ready to leave town, so I can't play with it yet, but it looks brand new. Supposedly it only had 500 shots on it. I'll check that out when I can.

Camera is here. We are getting ready to leave town, so I can't play with it yet, but it looks brand new. Supposedly it only had 500 shots on it. I'll check that out when I can.

Hooray! Glad that it arrived before your trip! Why would someone have purchased this, only shot about 500 times, and then decided to sell the camera? Maybe he or she was dissatisfied with it for some reason, it wasn't handling or performing as they had expected, or maybe there was just good old buyer's remorse? Hope it all checks out to be perfectly fine for you and that you derive much enjoyment from it!

Hooray! Glad that it arrived before your trip! Why would someone have purchased this, only shot about 500 times, and then decided to sell the camera? Maybe he or she was dissatisfied with it for some reason, it wasn't handling or performing as they had expected, or maybe there was just good old buyer's remorse? Hope it all checks out to be perfectly fine for you and that you derive much enjoyment from it!
The wife found out and blew a fuse :eek:
Return the camera or sleep outside in the dog house.

I've seen posts in other forums where the guys are trying to figure out how to get item X (usually expensive), into the house without the wife finding out.

Ah, good point! Actually, some of us women do that, too -- or at least I did lo these many moons ago, when I'd go shopping at the mall and buy a bunch of clothes that I really didn't need and then once arriving home try to sneak the bags into the house or even just leave them in my car until my husband wasn't home...... :D He was smart, though, and when I suddenly started wearing a new outfit or a different sweater that he hadn't seen before, he'd become suspicious very quickly!

Now, cameras......well, to someone who is not a photographer they probably all do look pretty much alike, and ditto for lenses unless it's a huge long lens and someone has had only small or regular-sized ones before..... A camera body or lens which looks quite different from what has been seen in the household previously indeed could arouse suspicion and questioning, or the photographer suddenly needing to charge up camera batteries before actually using the camera [new model, new size of batteries] and then tinkering with it a lot [setting it up] prior to actually just going out with it to shoot..... Or a curious need to spend a lot of time in another room where the spouse doesn't often go...... Yeah, I can see how in some situations there might be a bit of fancy footwork going on when it comes to the buyer getting a new camera body or lens acquisition into the house without detection! Observant spouses are going to pick upon some clues fairly quickly.....

Last edited:
Why would someone have purchased this, only shot about 500 times, and then decided to sell the camera?
I bought my D7200 five years ago from a Nikon Cafe member who advertised it as having fewer than 500 clicks. When I got it and checked, it was actually fewer than 200. It's still giving excellent service.

I didn't question his reasons, just enjoyed the great deal.

Well, since I don't usually buy used gear anyway, for me it really hasn't been a concern as to why someone might be offering a lightly-used camera body or lens for sale..... That's their business, I quite agree! Sometimes people don't have the opportunity to fully put something through its paces before the store's time frame for returning an item runs out, and other times it just takes longer to make up one's mind about whether or not to keep a given camera body and/or lens.....

Some people just gotta have the newest, latest, greatest . . .:rolleyes: and then disappointment sets in, and the cycle begins all over again . . .
We see a lot of that on MacRumors.....some people seem to be serial buyers/returners. They buy something the instant it comes out and then then return it, sometimes or usually for a perceived flaw, take home another version of the same item, then return that one a few days later, all within the stated return period. Some apparently like to buy the newest thing, try it out and then decide that they'll either skip buying it immediately or will wait a while until it comes down in price, so return it..... Others buy an item, find some perceived flaw, return/exchange it and take home another of the same item, find a flaw or two in it, return it, take home another of the same item, find another flaw or two, return it..... I've seen posts where people have claimed to have bought/exchanged/returned as many as 15 or 16 of the same item! When you're talking about an expensive iPhone or an expensive computer, that's no small potatoes. They're just taking advantage of Apple's rather generous return policies, which is a shame. Sickening, really......

I have actually found some really nice deals on used gear that have saved me a lot of money. I bought the 14-30 Z lens from a guy who bought it for a trip to Italy and when the trip was over he sold it. I saved several hundred dollars on it, and it looked just like new when I bought it. This Z50 looks totally new. If you bought it from a store you wouldn't know it had ever been used. It's scary buying used, but so far I've had great luck. Years ago I bought my E-M5 used. It had about 1,000 clicks on it. I used it for many years.

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom