1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

UPS is not green

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Montec, Jul 31, 2008.

1. Montec

Montec

Jul 26, 2007
    British Columbia
    Wow...I ordered some Alien Bees equipment and look at the route it has taken...Nashville TN to Richmond, BC Canada (very close to me!) clears Customs, then back to Hodgkins IL, now on the road again...odd don't you think?

[​IMG]

2. Toby D

Toby D

Mar 7, 2006
    Iowaay
    Well, maybe that's what they mean by; "What can brown do for you?".

3. PJohnP

PJohnP

Feb 5, 2005
    That's the paperwork being filed in BC, not the object being moved. I watched an identical process with a gift for a friend sent up to Canada a few months back. The package went to Nashville for sorting from Illinois and sat there until the paperwork was approved by Customs Canada/the brokerage agency.

Chuckle. :wink:

John P.

4. I've completely given up on UPS. Most people I know complain of clearance fees of 40 to 50 bucks on 10 dollar purchases. If a company only ships UPS I go somewhere else...

Cheers

Ted:smile:

5. Montec

Montec

Jul 26, 2007
    British Columbia
    Now that makes more sense :wink:

6. iLLMaCK

iLLMaCK Guest

Accidents happen.

7. Seneca

Seneca

Dec 4, 2006
    Texas!
    They traveled the scenic route - probably a part-time photog taking pictures. :biggrin:

8. I agree with you. You can tell by the dates and time that it didn't have time to go to canada between Tn and IL . departure scan on 7/30
    8:02 a.m. at Nashville , and arrival scan at Hodgkins on 7/30 at 6:14 p.m.

9. deadmeat

deadmeat

Jul 18, 2008
    Sarasota, FL
    "Being green" is a load of garbage, anyway. Just a way for people/companies to scam more money out of you.

UPS may charge clearance fees, but at least you know it's going to get there.

I've not had such great luck with the postal service. Cheap, yes. But good luck if you get what you ordered... Especially with international orders and deliveries. Once it leaves the US, who knows what's going on with it. Ask my grandfather that deals in coin exchange and collecting...

At least your package is staying in the same company, not getting passed around between each countries postal service.

-meaty

10. iLLMaCK

iLLMaCK Guest

It's not UPS's choice to charge that, it's the government.

11. The whole "Think Green" concept is a corporate scam in my opinion. The real green movement is to stay at home, don't drive, don't spend money, and don't contribute to the capitalistic economy. Don't even get me started on the stupidity of Carbon Credits! I'm very conscious of the environment, but just because a Chevy Tahoe says Hybrid in green lettering, doesn't mean it's s***t don't stink!

Anyways here in LA, I have a friend who works at a law firm that handles litigation for UPS and he told me that most the time UPS was at fault on bad deliveries and that his law firm had so much work trying to clean up UPS's F'ups. That whole company is messed up in so many ways and I try to avoid UPS deliveries when I can.

12. iLLMaCK

iLLMaCK Guest

Riiiight.

UPS is a huge company, and of course the bad things are always going to be made a bigger deal then the good things. They handle millions of packages a day, not everyone is going to make it on time.

UPS > FedEx > DHL > USPS

13. rlacy

rlacy

Apr 22, 2007
    San Diego
    Maybe the reason they took this route is that they only make Right turns now!! :smile:

Ron

14. Toby D

Toby D

Mar 7, 2006
    Iowaay
    Spoken like a true Los Angeleno! Make the 101 a bike path!:biggrin:

I see it was at the "Black Hole of Hodgkin's". The Hodgkins sorting facility was famous in the past (don't know about now), as a modern, state of the art facility. The only problem was, things went in there but didn't come back out. It was the worst place to have a package in their system. Only upside, if it was lost, that's likely where it was. Now about finding it again...

My other UPS story: When I worked for the largest credit rating company in the world in Chicago, they landed the UPS contract for accounts receivable recovery. They were waiting for the contract to be delivered to the UPS HQ in Atlanta. All the big boys were standing there, waiting, when the FedEx truck pulled up to deliver that contract. They almost lost the deal right there.

15. iLLMaCK

iLLMaCK Guest

That's working according to the drivers I've talked to.

16. deadmeat

deadmeat

Jul 18, 2008
    Sarasota, FL
    I make just as many left turns as I do right ;) 

It all depends on what center you work out of as to the intelligence of the people who plan your daily route ;) 

-meaty

17. Lurker

Lurker

Jul 21, 2007
    NJ
    That is not always true. My employer is clearly in business to make money, but that doesn't mean that we don't care:
    • Cold ironing (plugging in for electricity as opposed to running your engines)
    • Biocide free (not just trybutiltin free) paint
    • Not disposing waste at sea
    • Installing waste heat recycling systems
    • Double hull oil tankers long before legislation mandated it.
    The nice thing is that once you start looking for running a business more environmental-friendly, there are cost savings as well. Cold ironing takes some investment, but you save on fuel in the long run.
    The special paint keeps our hulls clean, allowing the vessels to run with less drag.
    And waste heat recovery is another fuel saver.

The current oil crisis might be a huge blessing for the environment as it makes it worthwhile for a lot of companies to adopt fuel-saving policies - think of UPS' right-turn only route planning - but keep in mind that even without the oil price many companies are already working harder on reducing their carbon footprint than most households.

18. Nashville, TN is the centralized location for all international shipments going into and out of the US. It doesn't matter if it's UPS, FedEX, or DHL. As PJohnP noted, that is the paperwork being filed out at the destination hub for reference.

19. I got no beefs with UPS!

Of the big 3, UPS, Fedex and the USPS. I will take UPS any day.

USPS has the stupidest tracking system I have ever seen. It finally shows you the information after it gets delivered. You can see nothing until then.
    Plus.. I get tired of them asking if I want to buy stamps, mailers, envelopes, blah blah blah everytime I go in... and wait in a line of 30 people with one person at the window.

Fedex.. The carrier leaves me a note on the door, that I can pick my package up after 7pm. So.. I get there at 6:50pm to find they actually close at 7pm. So.. does the carrier not know what time they close? The next time I have to go there, they can't find the package.. and take like an hour to locate it. All the while the Fedex counter person is flirting with some dude who is there to pick up his package. She finaly remembers I am waiting after 20 minutes and makes one call to see if it is found and then flirts for another 20 mins.

UPS has never lost anything for me, the tracking system has been dead on the money for anything I have ordered or had shipped and I am almost always in and out of their shipping location in 5 mins.

I guess my expierience with UPS here is not the norm... and I would rather them stay 'Brown' and not Green.. if their service declined. :biggrin:

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.