1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

UPS Tracking Can Be Futile & Frustrating!

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Gary Mayo, Jul 12, 2008.

1. Gary Mayo

Gary Mayo Guest

OMAHA,NE, US 07/11/2008 9:56 A.M. ARRIVAL SCAN

OMAHA,NE, US 07/11/2008 7:18 P.M. DEPARTURE SCAN

This is a package that holds my most expensive camera lens (costs the price range of my D3) and it is in the UPS hold pattern in a UPS building/truck 20 minutes from me.

The arrival date is listed as 07-14-2008!

Come on guys! I can agree to no left turns but four days to go 20 minutes? Are you waiting for fuel prices to go down?

Well, when it does get here, I will open the box like the kid ripping the Red Rider box open on Christmas Day in that famous movie!

(4 days to go 20 minutes!) lol

2. That reminds me of a parcel I shipped with DHL from Amsterdam, Netherlands to Cairo Egypt. It first went to Leipzig in Germany, waited 2 days, then came back to Amsterdam to get on a plane direct to Cairo :biggrin:

3. Interesting.... I paid a bit extra to have my new 17-55/2.8 shipped UPS 3 day select from Allen's Camera in PA, so that it would arrive by Friday. The package arrived at my workplace the very next morning.

4. HEhehe, well, Leipzig is a very interesting city..... we saw the church where Bach was choir director, and the location of the first Unification meetings. I'm sure your package had a great visit! :tongue: :biggrin:

5. Gary, in my experience it's less to do with tracking and just about everything to do with their delivery policies. I've had lots of packages arrive early at the "local" UPS only to see the notation "not due for delivery" show up in tracking. Funny how that only happens on a Friday!!!:actions1:

As far as strange routings: Micron in Boise, Idaho (300 miles by road) shipped a package via FedEx that went from Boise to Seattle, to Memphis, back to Seattle and then on to Lewiston, ID (30 miles) and then up to Moscow----Buy "locally" and ship globally!

My local FedEx guy tells me of people who use FedEx to ship stuff across town (Moscow has a population of 24,000--I can walk from one end to the other in 40 minutes!).

6. nu2scene

nu2scene

Sep 27, 2007
    Las Vegas
    For me the tracking only shows the first day, the departure. Then for the next few days it shows nothing at all. Then I only see when it arrives to Florida, or the local UPS office. But the rest of the trip never shows up, I don't have any idea where it is.

7. I used to work for one of the majjor carriers. I recall an operations manager telling me that the policy on 2-day shipments was that if the item arrived at the station a day early, it'd be held for delivery until the next business day. Apparently some routes routinely got the package there in a day. But they were afraid that if they delivered those early (one day), that customers would realize it and pay the lower 2-day shipping cost, and expect it to always be delivered in one day.

As far as the package being at the UPS station on Friday the 11th and not being delivered until Monday the 14th -- doesn't UPS in your area not have regular deliveries on weekends? Or was this package set for a Saturday delivery?

If a package is scanned into a station at 9:56am, it's highly unlikely to be out on a truck for delivery the same day unless it's a specific service. Usually a station will perform its arrival sort and then its sort for out-for-delivery much, much earlier in the morning. The trucks will start rolling out soon afterwards. In some areas, before 6am.

The statuses you see on a carrier's web site may actually only be the tip of the iceberg. Most systems have more internal statuses that do not display on the public web sites. They are masked because they are deemed too confusing for "laypeople" to read (at least from the carrier's perspective). Or the carrier is afraid to let the customer know they messed up by showing certain statuses! Our call center agents were trained to read those statuses and provide "interpretations" when customers called with only the knowledge of the public statuses.

There is some variance for the specific service and whether the item is for a residential or commercial address.

Usually for ground service, there is no status once it gets on a truck to be delivered across the country. The item is scanned at the outbound facility and again when it arrives at a destination station or a key regional routing station, and unloaded. There is no scanning along the way, as the progress is tracked by package and not the truck carrying it (at least not with statuses available on the external web site).

8. They are just testing you Gary! How bad does he want it.....their capturing every click you make into their system....:biggrin:, playing with your emotions, not that I'm paranoid of course....

Ted

9. Seneca

Seneca

Dec 4, 2006
    Texas!
    Awwww ... I agree with Ted they are playing with your mind. Which lens is this?

10. PeteZ28

PeteZ28

Oct 5, 2007
    Newtown, PA
    Just go down there and pick it up!!!

Call 1-800-PICK-UPS and ask if you can make arrangements to pick it up at the terminal. If they buck; give them a story. Tell them this is for your business and you need it for a photo shoot Sunday, you have assistants to pay location booked and if they will not let you pick it up you will back-charge UPS for the time lost and expenses incurred.

I've gone through enough BS with UPS in the past to know how to get something done ;) 

Of course, this works much better with Red and 2nd day packages, but never hurts to try!

11. Gary Mayo

Gary Mayo Guest

300-800mm Sigma. Almost 13 pounds of pure joy!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I have no problem waiting, but it just seems somehow a tad painful that it is so close and yet so far. lol

If my brain did not feel so tapped by the price of the lens, I would have spent more money on shipping so I could be enjoying the lens this weekend.

If I had it to do again, the little extra money it would have cost would have been spent on 2nd day air.

12. Here's a better story, Gary. I've had shipping on a lens that I was very eager to get, and J&R was kind enough to upgrade me to 3 day air for free. UPS's national headquarters are in Louisville, so almost EVERYTHING done by air shipping on this side of the country is bound to get to Louisville at one point or another for sorting. So my lens gets here on the second day, and instead of driving 10 minutes to my house, it goes on a UPS Ground truck and GOES TO LEXINGTON (about an hour and a half away). for ONE WHOLE day, it sat there through Lexington's shipping and sorting facility before it is driven back to Louisville, and shipped the next day. Talk about inconvenience.

13. wingspar

wingspar

Mar 16, 2008
    Oregon
    UPS does not deliver here on weekends. It is totally understandable why your lens has to sit there over the weekend. However, I’ve never had any problems with tracking packages with UPS, and I use their tracking all the time, feel I can rely on it, and I dig it when a package arrives a day early, and that happens quite often.

14. slappomatt

slappomatt

May 13, 2006
    San Diego CA
    as for their tracking. they have the best in the buissness hands down. personaly I hate their service and they are also the slowest to deliver. as much as I prefer fedex for not trashing your package and not letting it sit becase you didnt pay for next day.. their tracking is almost as useless as usps who doesnt have tracking. only delivery confirmation. which when its in my hand. I dont need to be told about it. lol.

15. Gary Mayo

Gary Mayo Guest

About 30 more hours!

16. hehe. I know the frustration Gary. I have ordered computer related items from nearby states like North Carolina and the package goes to Atlanta, then get routed back to South Carolina. I guess they only travle from major hubs to major hubs for sorting or something.

I just pulled the trigger for a D300 so I will be watching the tracking progress.

MikeT

17. JessP7

JessP7

May 3, 2005
    North MS, USA
    I have the same problem. I have a new HD camcorder sitting about 3 1/2 hours away. It will probably get moved to within 20 minutes of my house sometime in the wee hours of the night and hopefully get placed on a brown truck in the morning. Even then, I will have to wait until tomorrow afternoon sometime because that is when our UPS guy usually makes the deliveries to our house. I think we are at the end of their routes for some reason. To top it all, I could be using the new recorder because my son just got his early birthday present (a trampoline) yesterday! AHH!

18. Gary that stinks! What lens is it? Let us know when it arrives, maybe if you are home, you can ask the UPS driver what the deal is.

19. JessP7

JessP7

May 3, 2005
    North MS, USA
    Is yours out for delivery yet, Gary? I just checked on mine and according to their system at 7:50 am, mine is out for delivery!!! I can't wait. I am just debating on what I will video first. I think that I will get some footage of the boys together playing, and then I'll probably take it outside and test out the High Definition features. Good luck with your shipment today!

20. Is is here yet?????????????????????????????????
    Pics of it/with it :biggrin::biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.