Upsizing

Discussion in 'General Technical Discussion' started by Kiwi Geoff, Jun 7, 2007.

1. I have a job to supply some files from my D200 and D70 to go on billboards of 4metres x 1.5metres. They want them at that size and 200dpi. What is the best way to upsize them? My thinking is in Photoshop.
    Any tips would be appreciated.
    Thanks in advance.

Thanks............ Go Emirates-Team New Zealand!!!!:biggrin:

2. Uprez 10%

I create an action that takes the file size up in 10% increments by going to
    Image> image size> then physically increase the dimensions by extending the size 10% with proportions locked, bicubic smoother, then stop the action.
    I repeat the action until I get to the size I want.:wink:

3. There was a thread here where they mentioned using Photoshop, put the dimensions you want, set dpi to a high number like 360 and use bicubic sharper.

4. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    Don't really need the 10% incriments anymore with PS.
    All new algorithms now at least since CS2
    (maybe CS)
    I just upsize what need in PS.. one shot
    I understand Qimage is also very good
    Genuine fractals also

5. Hey Gale,
    Ya, the 10% isnt prabably neccessary but Ive always done it that way and it cant hurt.
    Just wondering, :Dizzy:an you get Genuine Fractuals for OS10?
    I used it for OS9 for years and have to revert to my old G-4 running OS9 to open my older compressed files.

6. Thanks for the info, will give it a go over the weekend.

7. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    I don't have fractals or mac
    Just good things I read
    Work on a mac.. Don't know

8. From what i have read, fractals is the way to go for something that big. Why would they want 200dpi for a billboard? I would have thought 50 would be ample

9. For Photoshop:
    Upsize=Bicubic Smoother
    Downsize=Bicubic Sharper

10. ckdamascus

ckdamascus

May 14, 2005
    New Jersey
    Yeah, camera guy is right.

http://www.outbackphoto.com/workflow/wf_60/essay.html

You should be fine for the most part. The viewing distance is really far, so you'd be surprised at how much mileage your cameras files have.

Just be careful of oversharpening, since an artifact will be noticable.

11. djtexus

djtexus

Feb 24, 2006
    I have Genuine Fractals, Qimage, and CS3 and I prefer GF hands down. It is easy, fast, and as long as you stay within reasonable boundaries and don't ask it to do the impossible, it does an amazing job.