Urban Clutter

Discussion in 'Landscapes, Architecture, and Cityscapes' started by fishbio, May 6, 2007.

1. Hi All

The Manitoba Legislature is a limestone neoclassical building - beautiful when viewed from the right angle. Some views through urban clutter are less flattering.

To get a sense of scale - the Golden Boy (officially "Eternal Youth") atop the dome is 17' high and his torch is 250' above ground level.

Last edited by a moderator: May 7, 2007
  2. Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    yikesss we have made a mess of our land
  3. At last! I never knew what the Golden Boy of Manitoba was.

Back in 1982 I moved into a house in Brighton UK and by agreement took on all the furniture and quite a lot of the belongings of the previous resident. On a high shelf in the living room were lots of ornamental plates. One of them was of the Golden Boy of Manitoba.

Alright, I'll go quietly now :frown:
  4. Hi Brian

I'm glad you now know. Do you still have the plate?

Maybe of interest - Sculpted and cast in France, the statute spent the First World War in the hold of a ship, crisscrossing the Atlantic Ocean after the ship was commandeered for troop transport.

5. Amazing story. I seem to have lost the plate in the move from Rochdale to Isle of Skye. I'm still eating off some of the others that I found though. Does that make me a bit of a cheapskate?
  6. BarryS

Dec 12, 2006
    Narberth, PA
    Too much going on for me but maybe that was the point.
  7. Indeed :)