Urban Clutter

Discussion in 'Landscapes, Architecture, and Cityscapes' started by fishbio, May 6, 2007.

1. Hi All

The Manitoba Legislature is a limestone neoclassical building - beautiful when viewed from the right angle. Some views through urban clutter are less flattering.

To get a sense of scale - the Golden Boy (officially "Eternal Youth") atop the dome is 17' high and his torch is 250' above ground level.

Cheers,

Larry

487184276_930de42441_o.

Last edited by a moderator: May 7, 2007
  2. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    yikesss we have made a mess of our land

3. At last! I never knew what the Golden Boy of Manitoba was.

Back in 1982 I moved into a house in Brighton UK and by agreement took on all the furniture and quite a lot of the belongings of the previous resident. On a high shelf in the living room were lots of ornamental plates. One of them was of the Golden Boy of Manitoba.

Alright, I'll go quietly now :frown:

4. Hi Brian

I'm glad you now know. Do you still have the plate?

Maybe of interest - Sculpted and cast in France, the statute spent the First World War in the hold of a ship, crisscrossing the Atlantic Ocean after the ship was commandeered for troop transport.

Larry

5. Amazing story. I seem to have lost the plate in the move from Rochdale to Isle of Skye. I'm still eating off some of the others that I found though. Does that make me a bit of a cheapskate?

6. BarryS

BarryS

Dec 12, 2006
    Narberth, PA
    Too much going on for me but maybe that was the point.

7. Indeed :) 

Cheers,

Larry

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.