1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

urgent advice needed on used purchase

Discussion in 'Lens Lust' started by swmlon, Jul 3, 2008.

1. I am about to meet a guy about purchasing a Nikon 70-200 f2.8 VR used. He tells me the lens is in mint condition except for a tiny dust particle on the edge of the front lens elements (about 1mm in size).

if everything else on the lens checks out, how big an impact does this spec of dust have on the image quality in a real world setting (as in not view pics at 100%) especially as i shot wide open for the most part so i imagine it would not be so noticable.

what are your thoughts? i am meeting the guy after work today so time is important.

thanks all in advance.

shing

2. Something that small will have zero effect on your pictures! Just mount it on your camera and test all the setting before you make the purchase.

3. CraigH

CraigH

Mar 21, 2008
    Orlando, Florida
    Yep, there is no way that the 70-200 has the depth of field to see a spec at or near the front element.

4. As above: this has no effect at all. In fact, many (most?) used lenses will have some degree of dust after some time - I never worried about it.

5. LDB415

LDB415

Apr 26, 2008
    Texas
    You didn't mention the asking price but it sounds like that is the only issue to be concerned with.

6. thanks for the feedback. I am going to look at the lens later to see it all checks out then try to negotiate a price.

thank you all again for the feedback. that is a load of my mind.

also, on another note, does anyone have advice on what to look out for on the second hand lens?

shing

7. ubetcha

ubetcha

Nov 12, 2006
    San Diego, Ca
    Shing, be sure and check the VR motor. I looked at a "bargain" priced 70-200 and was tempted to overlook the wear and tear and buy it until I put it up to my ear and listened to the VR motor, it sounded like a coffee grinder. You asked about dust, this lens also had a lot of dust and significant rub marks/spots on the front elements and it still took quite good pictures. Hope it turns out to be a winner for you!:smile::smile:

8. It's not a performance issue, but it's a great negotiating point. Make sure to examine the "defect" carefully, and ask him lots of questions about it, such as...

• Has it shown up as a shadow in any of your pictures?
    • Could it cause lens flare?
    • Are big particles covered by warranty?
    • How did it get in there? Do you think there's a leak?
    • If I buy the lens, do you think that big particle will effect resale value?

By the time you're done, he'll be happy to knock a few hundred off his asking price :wink:.

9. thanks for the feedback.

i am now a proud owner of the Nikkor 70-200 f2.8 VR. from what i can tell rattling off 80 odd photos in london bridge station. focus was snappy and accurate, VR worked a charm (and not making any obsene noices).

will be taking it out this weekend at a baseball game here in the UK (whoopie), will post some after the weekend.
    happy days

shing

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.