Urgent help please....about to lose file!

Discussion in 'PC/Windows/Linux' started by RayGuselli, Aug 21, 2008.

1. RayGuselli

RayGuselli

Oct 18, 2005
    Hi

In photoshop I have been working on a file with a few layers (about 15) but my PC should handle with ease...

Quad core 2.66
    *GB ram

When I come to save the file the Vista circle spins and I hear a clickining noise from the pc and after a while get the message "not responding".

This is very frustrating as it should not do this and I am now going to lose a lot of work for the second time.

I can hera a clicking noise in the PC as I type now....very ocassional click. Sounds as if something is clicking in and out?

Any help/ideas please?

Thanks Ray

2. RayGuselli

RayGuselli

Oct 18, 2005
    File saved after 20 minutes hang!!!

That is wrong....any ideas please?

Thanks

Ray

3. TimK

TimK

Apr 17, 2006
    Hong Kong, China
    Clicking noise, if it sounds mechanical, is most probably due to hard disk malfunction.

I suppose you must have more than one hard disk. Try saving to other HDDs to see if it works.

Probably a good idea to do a boot time scan of the HDDs.

4. Could possibly be your hard disk is about to crash. Back up anything you haven't backed up and get it checked. If you can't save your work in progress, your boot drive, with your programs installed might be the one going bad.

5. EssieK

EssieK Guest

Immediately backup your important stuff! I used to work at a data recovery company and "clicking sounds" from your PC is the head of the arm reading the plates in your HD scraping along the surface. While it might not sound like a big deal, these small "clicks" create furrows in the plates equivalent to the Grand Canyon in size, and will most certainly cause your disk to stop functioning in the end.

6. RayGuselli

RayGuselli

Oct 18, 2005
    Thanks alll...update

Hi

First off....many thanks...really appreciated.

This is a new PC which was not right when I bought it but I decided to persevere...MISTAKE:mad:

However, ran checkdisk but which had finished whe I got home and I just hads the welcome screen on so not sure what happeneded or what I should be looking for?

However, I back all files up to an external HD and decided to copy a 10mb file from external to internal HD (there are 2 internal drives)....came up with not responding!!!!

The PC seems to be gradually slowing and the clicking noise remains.....I am quite worried now!

May be that I return this to the makers (who have a bad name ...and see what happens...)

Ray

7. Seneca

Seneca

Dec 4, 2006
    Texas!
    Oh my gosh this happened to me last night as well. I heard the clicking sounds. I had make lots of revisions to one image and lost it all. Seems the computer was trying to auto save a file that didn't have the extension correct.

This is the way the computer saw the file...Image2Laineyp.sd The dot was in the wrong place.

So it crashed the whole file...and yes I lost everything...about 25 minutes of work. Agh!

8. EssieK

EssieK Guest

Whenever a disk is emitting clicking and/or grinding noises the safest best is to turn off the power and remove that disk. Harddrives go into "sleep"-mode - where the read/write-arm goes into a safe position. This clicking noise might be caused by a) faulty mechanics in the arm itself or b) the arm is burrowing into the plates making up the harddrive.

Anyhow - return either the full PC or better - just the faulty drive. They'll have to replace it with a new one (equal or better) if the disk proves to be beyond repair (and tbh - disks aren't worth repairing, the parts cost way more than the drive itself...). Just make sure to get an RMA-number so that you can track the service.

If the makers prove to be difficult just contact the drive-manufacturer directly - they can (and most likely will) issue a swap providing the unit is still covered by warranty (here in Norway we have 2 yr factory warranty + 3 yr extra if the part is supposed to last longer than 5 yrs).

Good luck with the repair / swap / rescue :smile:

9. mdruiz

mdruiz

Feb 18, 2008
    Orlando, FL
    There is still a possiablity that you got a bad HD..Save your important data to CD/DVD. Try to return the PC and get a new one.

10. RayGuselli

RayGuselli

Oct 18, 2005
    Total Disaster

I have L my data saved to an external HD which I always thought as infallible and no need for further back-up...now realise I was wrong.

The clicking was not from the new pc but the HD with all the data....which sits alongside the PC.

So, whereas I thought it was the PC it was the external drive with ALL my data.

Thousands of images, Excel, Word, Powerpont, business and personal files....all lost.

The light is on the external HD but the disk does not appear to be moving.

I am now looking at the expensive option of data recovery........

Ray

11. TimK

TimK

Apr 17, 2006
    Hong Kong, China
    OMG!

Ray, that's terrible. If you are out of luck or finding it too expansive to recover your data, I can ask around for you here in HK. I guess it would be cheaper here.

anyway, I know it has been said a million times ... back up....

External HDDs should be used for backup only. Even with firewire B connection they are slower than internal HDDs. They are also easier to damage too because it is sitting in a much lighter enclosure than your PC.

In any case HDDs will die sooner or later. Don't trust anything that is older than 3 years!

12. EssieK

EssieK Guest

fear not too much - it might "only" be that the arm has seized to function. Your data is there - but how much it's gonna cost you to recover the files depends on the amount of physical damage.

_Do NOT power up the drive anymore_!

13. RayGuselli

RayGuselli

Oct 18, 2005
    Thanks for the advice

will not power up.

I am going to try putting the drive into another case unless I am told not to...see if that works.

If not I have some prices for DATA recovery.....VERY EXPENSIVE.....but some images are priceless....

Ray

14. Ray always back up to two HD's. I have an image on one HD and my images on two separate HD's

Cheers
    Nancy

15. EssieK

EssieK Guest

please do not put the drive into a different enclosure - this'll only cause more harm...

16. TimK

TimK

Apr 17, 2006
    Hong Kong, China
    Different enclosure should not help, although I don't think it will make it worse (if you are talking about USB enclosure).

The clicking sound is usually caused by the arm trying to go back and forth reading tracks on the disk. If the head or part of the disk surface is bad it will get data errors and the controller will try to read again and again. If the head is the problem there are shops in Hong Kong that can replace the arm/head assembly.

17. Take that drive out of the enclosure and hook it up in your PC. If it's a 2.5" drive (notebook drive), then you'll need and adapter cable. If it's a typical 3.5" drive, then plug it in to your existing IDE cable, by itself, make sure to set to master. If it's SATA, then you should be set and use the cables from another drive.

Sometimes the enclosures puke the drive and this may be your only saving grace..

GL.

18. EssieK

EssieK Guest

Do _not_ power up the drive. From my years in data recovery I can guarantee that you'll do more harm.

19. cleoent

cleoent

Dec 21, 2007
    San Jose, Ca
    oh man, that sucks. clicking time bomb. :(

Good luck with the recovery it is very very expensive :(