Urgent iphone issue. Any ideas?

Traveling, IPhone 6.
Phone would not send a text message, so I rebooted.
I get a message : “ Cellular Update Failed
Your iPhone cannot make and receive calls or access cellular data until it has been updated. “

I plugged the phone into my computer/iTunes and successfully updated the software. No luck. Same error message.
I turned cellular on and off under settings, turned airplane mode on and off.

Any ideas? Traveling without a functioning phone will be a royal pain.
Thanks for any thoughts
Gary

Real Name
Ken St John
First thing that comes to mind is a SIM fault. I'd first try to remove the SIM card, make sure it's clean, maybe blow out the SIM slot in the phone, then re-insert and try it again. If that doesn't help, I'd take it to T-Mo, ATT, etc., and ask for a new SIM which they should provide you for free.

Ken

Real Name
Ken St John
Another thing came to mind - reset your network settings. It’s under Settings - General - Reset. Be careful not to select others here. They can erase your phone!!

Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

But if you reset your network all you have to do is rejoin any WiFi networks. You’ll still stay connected to your car Bluetooth, etc.

Ken

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Did all the resets. Went to local verizon store and tried a new SIM card. Nope.
Tech did notice water damage, not sure if that was the issue.
We will be driving about 12 hours tomorrow, and I want a phone. I am now the owner of an iPhone 11. Moving up in the world.
Thanks for the help
Gary

We will be driving about 12 hours tomorrow, and I want a phone. I am now the owner of an iPhone 11. Moving up in the world.
Thanks for the help
Gary
Congratulations on the new phone! How did we ever travel without them?

Thanks for the help
Gary
A 6 year old phone will show signs of water "damage" eventually...those stupid sensors are garbage and if a tech sees any signs of the sensor being tripped they immediately stop and will recommend not working on it.
Usually a network reset will fix it but in your case a 6 is old and was likely lagging quite a bit (my old phone was a 6 and I was getting annoyed with how slow it was last year and finally upgraded and couldn't be happier).

The sooner you get on board (this goes for anyone, not just the person i'm quoting) with a proper life expectancy of your electronic devices, the easier those upgrades will be and less you'll be scrambling last minute. My daughter turned 6 yesterday, I got my iPhone 6 about 1 month before she was born and it had been out for a couple months before that...getting 6 years out of a phone is pretty damn good. I put a max limit of 4 years on phones so I prepare myself to know that i'll be upgrading my current phone 3 years from now.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
I think everything I own, even much of my camera equipment, is old.
My OLD iPhone 6 was actually working just fine. I use my phone to talk to people and text.
The gps tracks my cycling rides, and links to my 10 year old Fitbit just fine. It never seemed slow to me. Cutting edge, I am not.
Upgrading to the new phone was surprisingly seamless. Data and settings from my old phone was transferred via bluetooth. 30min later I have a different phone, that looks and acts almost exactly the same as my old one.
The camera is supposed to be better. Maybe I will try taking a picture with this one.
gary.

I think everything I own, even much of my camera equipment, is old.
My OLD iPhone 6 was actually working just fine. I use my phone to talk to people and text.
The gps tracks my cycling rides, and links to my 10 year old Fitbit just fine. It never seemed slow to me. Cutting edge, I am not.
Upgrading to the new phone was surprisingly seamless. Data and settings from my old phone was transferred via bluetooth. 30min later I have a different phone, that looks and acts almost exactly the same as my old one.
The camera is supposed to be better. Maybe I will try taking a picture with this one.
gary.
The camera may surprise you.

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom