US 163 in Utah - Forest Gump Hill

Real Name
Ken St John
One of my favorite drives is south on US163 in southern Utah ... the road to Monument Valley. Here are two versions of the same basic shot.

May June Vacation-405.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

May June Vacation-389_DxO.jpg

Many folks apparently remember it from the movie "Forest Gump" -- there's even a sign that's been erected to commemorate the spot where he stopped running...
Screen Shot 2021-06-17 at 10.47.17 AM.png

Cheers!!

Ken

Last edited:

kilofoxtrott

European Ambassador
Real Name
Klaus
Ken, your wonderful pictures are bringing some wonderful memories back.
I had driven the Route 66 in 1998 and of course there was a littel detour to Monument Valley.
The whole day only two of the three famous rocks were in the sun - one of them, alternating, always in the shadow.
In the early evening I left to drive the US 163 back to the south.
In the rear view mirror I suddenly saw all three rocks in the sun. Drove over on the hard shoulder. Got out of the car, took my F801 and took some shots. Suddenly, I still had the camera in front of my head, the ground gave way and I stuck in a hole up too my armpits. After the first shock, I carefully put the camera aside and tried to find ground under my feet. Nothing! I could manage it to crawl out only using my arms. Well, I was younger then. Standing there with trembling knees I realized there was a big gap even running under the car. Don't ask how carefully I drove on.

It happened here. I believe you'll know these two rocks...
Az_083.jpg

Az_084.jpg

I hope I didn't disturb your thread...
Klaus

Having first said that I really like Ken's own shots of an amazing part of the USA, I have to say that Klaus's experience calls for more. Whether in a separate thread or not the Mods can decide but it really does sound as if a few more words would interest us.

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Forum GIFs powered by GIPHY: https://giphy.com/
Copyright © Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom