US Supreme Court - Holga Action

Discussion in 'Retouching and Post Processing' started by ftslogger, Jun 28, 2007.

1. ftslogger

ftslogger

May 4, 2007
    Charlotte
    Just playing around with some actions in Photoshop, I kinda like the look of this - very vintage. I found the action on the Adobe Exchange site.

Anyways...on to the image.

[​IMG]

Thoughts, opinions, or I just plain don't care.... :eek:

2. Matthew, Adobe's exchange site is full of interesting things. I'm glad you mentioned it. I often forget to stop by there more often.

Personally I would have liked to see a little different view, one where'd you'd stepped back a little with your camera so the foreground is more visible. Did you crop it off?

The Holga action appears to add noise and decrease levels.

It would be fun to see your original for comparison.

Virginia
    aka beaucamera

3. Add noise, decrease levels, destroy sharpness, add CA, kill straight lines, crazy distortion... you name it. That's the point of a Holga camera or a Holga action.

4. ftslogger

ftslogger

May 4, 2007
    Charlotte
    I had intentionally cropped out the steps from that angle, because I didn't want to include the people that had begun to walk up the 48 marble steps...I wanted it to look cold and hard. I can post the original, without all the Holga processing. As for another perspective, I have several that are not just straight on. I'll post for your viewing pleasure.

5. ftslogger

ftslogger

May 4, 2007
    Charlotte
    [​IMG]
    Original of first.

[​IMG]
    Somewhat orginal perspective of the bronze door and marble colums of the building.

[​IMG]
    Another Holga attempt - different perspective

6. Ah....I guess I'm missing something here. Why would one want to junk up an image. Oh, yes, I forgot about modern art. My bad. :rolleyes:

Rich

7. Rich,

The Holga cameras we're supposed to be "serious high quality" cameras for the People from the Republic of China. It was such a bad joke camera that it quickly gained a niche market with the artists and students... It's a horrible image maker that quickly becomes a Geniuse's camera if one knows how to handle it (which can be a lifetime achievement).

The point of owning a Holga is to fully understand the unique sample you've got (because they all have unique quirks) and then to go out shooting within that particular Holga's limits. The results one can get can be outstanding.

The point of shooting a holga is the whole process from loading the film to understand the light and how the Holga will draw it to the film down to developing the film and finally to making a collage or even an exhibition. The point of a Holga is its unique Magic and the whole process in which the photographer jumps into. It's not just a final image, it's the whole process.
    IMO, transforming digital files to a Holga look is missing the whole genuine point...

8. ftslogger

ftslogger

May 4, 2007
    Charlotte

Ultimately you are 100% correct. With digital, the images are "sudo Holga". I don't think that this processing is meant for every type of image. I guess I am just "copying" the look of the Holga image. One would think that duplication is a form of flattery. DxO and other software programs often use film simulation for digital pictures, Velvia, Lomo, Holga, Kodachrome, etc. Just a diffrent way to transform an image.