Share Us, Way Back Then...

Real Name
Walter Rowe
Did you eat the barracuda? I ask because, despite that my school years of 6th - 12th grade were spent in Miami, I had never heard of anyone eating barracuda. Decades later I ate barracuda grilled with barbecue sauce on a beach in Mexico and it was delicious.
I think we cute it up for bate. We did eat conch ceviche made with fresh conch we took from the ocean floor which was really delicious. We also caught some really good yellow fin tuna, and ate fresh lobsters because we were there during the lobster runs and were permitted a certain amount per boat (we had two boats in our charter). We all were students or just out of college so we were "on the cheap". We slept aboard the sailboat every night. I think the entire trip was $600 for the entire week both times I went.

LyndeeLoo

Administrator
Administrator
Here's one of me circa 1988. That's my younger brother, Sam, to the far left, John, my then fiance', me and my older brother Roger at my university's annual Alumni Weekend in Alabama. My younger brother is one heck of a photographer and is actually a member here in the Cafe'. My ex-fiance'? Well...we broke up shortly after that (amicably; no animosity whatsoever) and the last time we saw each other was 1991.

Last year, however, I received a private message on Facebook from someone with a name I didn't recognize. I opened the message and it turns out it was from John's son. He wrote that John had given him the mission to find me no matter what. So the son turns to FB, finds my profile, and shows it to his dad, who confirmed that I was the person he was looking for. Then he tells his son to pass along his phone number and for me to please contact him. So I call after a few days and spoke to John for the first time in 28 years. And, since February of 2019, that man has called me twice a week, every week without fail just to say 'Good Morning' and to wish me a great day.

Now...before you ask, nooo, there will be no 're-fiance'-ing', LOL! :ROFLMAO:
Me1.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Here's one of me circa 1988. That's my younger brother, Sam, to the far left, John, my then fiance', me and my older brother Roger at my university's annual Alumni Weekend in Alabama. My younger brother is one heck of a photographer and is actually a member here in the Cafe'. My ex-fiance'? Well...we broke up shortly after that (amicably; no animosity whatsoever) and the last time we saw each other was 1991.

Last year, however, I received a private message on Facebook from someone with a name I didn't recognize. I opened the message and it turns out it was from John's son. He wrote that John had given him the mission to find me no matter what. So the son turns to FB, finds my profile, and shows it to his dad, who confirmed that I was the person he was looking for. Then he tells his son to pass along his phone number and for me to please contact him. So I call after a few days and spoke to John for the first time in 28 years. And, since February of 2019, that man has called me twice a week, every week without fail just to say 'Good Morning' and to wish me a great day.

View attachment 1674345

Great picture and a great story, Lyndee. Thanks for posting.

Real Name
Walter Rowe

Great story! Lovely picture.

LyndeeLoo

Administrator
Administrator
Great story, Lyndee!

However, the photo doesn't include your shoes. Bad, bad, bad!
Actually, I have one of John and I that does include my shoes - they were black, patent leather with a red stripe along the front. Don't have those, anymore - pity... :LOL:

KSJU5153.JPEG

View attachment 1674345
Love the story and the photo.

Real Name
Dan
Here's a shot of my (then to-be) wife and I at the end of the summer of '81. We met that spring and this shot was taken on the trip back from the beach when I took her back to Clemson for the fall semester. It is a scanned image of an old polaroid instant film camera that we had borrowed from someone. When I got back home I quit my job running a commercial fishing boat, started night school at the local campus of USC and joined her at Clemson for the spring semester. We worked our own way through school and didn't have two nickels to rub together but were happy.

p4063298831-5.jpg

Butlerkid

Cafe Ambassador
Administrator
Real Name
Karen
Here's a shot of my (then to-be) wife and I at the end of the summer of '81. We met that spring and this shot was taken on the trip back from the beach when I took her back to Clemson for the fall semester. It is a scanned image of an old polaroid instant film camera that we had borrowed from someone. When I got back home I quit my job running a commercial fishing boat, started night school at the local campus of USC and joined her at Clemson for the spring semester. We worked our own way through school and didn't have two nickels to rub together but were happy.

View attachment 1674459
Ah! GReat story!

View attachment 1674459

I agree with Karen. Sounds like it worked out very well for you two. And now you're a commercial fisherman in Alaska?

LyndeeLoo

Administrator
Administrator

View attachment 1674459
True love. What a great story!

Real Name
Dan
Thanks for the kind comments everyone.
... And now you're a commercial fisherman in Alaska?
No, commercial fishing is long behind. I graduated with a degree in mechanical engineering and worked in the oil/gas/petrochemical industry. Came to Alaska in 2000 to work for the company that operates the Trans Alaska Pipeline. Took early retirement in 2015.

Thanks for the kind comments everyone.

No, commercial fishing is long behind. I graduated with a degree in mechanical engineering and worked in the oil/gas/petrochemical industry. Came to Alaska in 2000 to work for the company that operates the Trans Alaska Pipeline. Took early retirement in 2015.

Good for you. I just remembered your photos of areas where you fish and I jumped to the wrong conclusions.

Latest threads

Top Bottom