US1photo.com a trusted dealer??

Discussion in 'Nikon DX DSLR' started by TheShotLessTaken, Oct 2, 2008.

1. TheShotLessTaken

TheShotLessTaken

Oct 2, 2008
    SoCal
    Are these guys a trusted site? They have some amazing prices, and I'm buying a D300 in the coming days.

http://www.us1photo.com/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=6668

They have a lot of good reviews from all the known review places for dealers, and they offer PayPal pay, verisign secure, etc etc.

Just checkin before I pull the trigger.

Oh and yes I'm new around here, former Canon shooter and POTN forum user. Im jumping ship because Canon is just plain outclassed by Nikons current products.

Thanks

Frank

2. eng45ine

eng45ine

May 11, 2005
    Chicago, IL
  3. TheShotLessTaken

TheShotLessTaken

Oct 2, 2008
    SoCal
    well, there is alot of good and some not so good reviews there. Nothing deal breaking though. I'm not too worried about not recieving a warranty either.

4. Bought my D300 from them

No problems at all.

5. TheShotLessTaken

TheShotLessTaken

Oct 2, 2008
    SoCal
    In regards to US1Photo? Just want to be clear. :smile:

6. TheShotLessTaken

TheShotLessTaken

Oct 2, 2008
    SoCal
    Thanks for the input guys! I think I should be fine with US1Photo. I cant wait to get my D300! I have been cameraless for over a month now.

7. eng45ine

eng45ine

May 11, 2005
    Chicago, IL
    Did you write that the camera comes without a warranty?

8. TheShotLessTaken

TheShotLessTaken

Oct 2, 2008
    SoCal
    No, but I see a review complaining about not receiving a US warranty card in there camera box. I wrote that I don't mind if I don't receive the warranty card.

9. AviSys

AviSys

Mar 31, 2008
    Placitas, NM
    You seem committed to this dealer.

Just be sure you get everything that should be in the box -- check BH Photo for that list.

If you are buying with a kit lens, be sure it's a Nikkor (Nikon) lens, not a cheap substitute.

Be sure the battery is a Nikon brand battery -- not a cheap substitute, or none at all. Be sure that you get a Nikon brand charger, but a no-name charger. Be sure you get the standard software package.

Above all, be sure thay don't call you and tell you you have to buy a battery and buy a charger.

10. TheShotLessTaken

TheShotLessTaken

Oct 2, 2008
    SoCal
    Im pretty sure they sell sealed boxes from the manufacturer (Nikon of course) Im just getting body as well.

11. You should avoid them.

Dealers with good and bad reseller ratings are usually writing in their own positive reviews to drown out the bad ones.

A friend of mine bought a Sigma 10-20 from them hoping for a good price. His copy had a tiny scratch on the glass and plenty of dust -- clearly not a new unit. He had to go through the stress of getting his credit card company to revoke the payment when they didn't respond in a timely basis. Eventually they did send him a replacement one and it seems fine, but to me the pain wasn't worth the savings.

Here's another Cafe owner experience. He was enticed by their D300 price and decided against it.

https://www.nikoncafe.com/vforums/showpost.php?p=1710522&postcount=32

I don't think you should buy from them. If you ignore the advice and do, make sure you are getting the Nikon USA warranty. Not a "USA warranty," not a "Nikon warranty," but a warranty from Nikon for the U.S. market.

By the way, I don't believe they are an authorized Nikon dealer either.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 15, 2017
  12. TheShotLessTaken

TheShotLessTaken

Oct 2, 2008
    SoCal
    Yeah nevermind, I read through the reviews some more, and decided not to use them. Most of the good reviews are clearly fake and written in by there own staff. Thats pretty sad.

13. TheShotLessTaken

TheShotLessTaken

Oct 2, 2008
    SoCal
    lol, *** ^? haha that came outta no where.

14. rgordin

rgordin

Jun 3, 2008
    Washington, DC
    1. I would never buy this camera without a USA warranty. Though some people have had Nikon work on their non-USA equipment, Nikon USA states it will not - even for a fee.

2. Here is about the same price, through Live Search, from a USA dealer - J&R: http://search.live.com/cashback/products/offerings/18003/8763502

3. Factory refurbished models are selling from Cameta Camera on eBay from $1260 to $1375, with many around $1300. These are USA models and have a one-year warranty, 90 days of which is from Nikon. Cameta claims they have never been sold and have minimal use. I bought one that had 7 actuations on it and was cosmetically new. They generally get good reviews here.

15. Haha - both. WRT other posters, mine did come with USA warranty and I wasn't upselled or anything else.

Regarding the ratings, I did receive a couple of emails after the sale asking if I was happy and then asking me to post a review / rating. It wasn't at resellerratings but I don't recall exactly where they had me post it.

As usual, probably better to go with B&H or a local store but they were $100 cheaper when nobody was discounting the budy and I came away happy.

16. I just want to note that I recently had two separate transactions through Cameta Camera, one for a D300 and the other for an 18-200VR lens. I had no problem in either transaction. I also purchased a lens through B&H, and that went very well too.

I would not trust any other ones.

17. I have a friend who bought a new D80 off eBay from a dealer who SAID he was a registered Nikon Dealer and sold ONLY USA warrantied Nikons.

When he went on the Nikon website to download the lastest firmware and entererd in his serial number, he found out the seller lied to him. It was a gray market item. He went to find the dealer on ebay but he was no longer
    listed as an active seller.

He was able to find the firmware on a website, but if he ever needs warranty
    service from Nikon.. he's hosed.

So.. be careful who you buy from!

18. NYTINCUP

NYTINCUP

Sep 22, 2008
    New Jersey
    I bought a D300 from them..
    Had it in 1 week with no problems-

At an AMAZING price that I can't find even today; even at US1!!

Maybe I just got lucky all around..

Just wanted to say I had a pos experience with them..