Critique USA Track & Field Outdoor National Championships

Real Name
Andy
For the second year in a row, Drake University, Des Moines, Iowa hosted the best track and field athletes of the USA. Many personal bests were set as the competition was at the highest level. I was lucky to witness two American Records, and a World Record.

I was having issues with the AF on my lens, but still coaxed some usable images out of it.

1. Tim Glover - Javelin
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

2. Rai Benjamin on his way to winning the 400m hurdles

3. Allyson Felix after the 400m

4. Sam Kendricks attempts a new American Record in the Pole Vault. He barely brushes the bar off of the standards here, but would clear it on the next attempt.

5. ...and there was much rejoicing

6. Emma Coburn on led the pack for a third trip through the water obstacle - she would go on to win yet another national title in the 3000m Steeplechase

7. After leading the first three laps of the 5000m, Paul Chelimo wonders why Woody Kincaid won't take the lead for a bit...

8. After a very entertaining additional nine laps, Lopez Lomong outkicked Chelimo to the finish. Kincaid held on to third. Definitely the best 5000m race I've seen in person.

9. Native Iowan Shelby Houlihan stayed on the rail for most of a rainy 5000m final. She would defend her national title at this distance, just as she did the prior day in the 1500m. That's four first places finishes in two consecutive national championships on a track she has competed on since she was a teenager. Needless to say, there was a stadium full of encouragement and approval.

10. Delilah Muhammad was first to turn onto the home stretch of the 400m hurdles. No one would catch her, as she would finish with a new World Record!

11. In a rather slow and tactical 1500m, Craig Engels outkicked favorite Matt Centrowitz. (Unfortunately, the focus plane is on the third runner, but I couldn't bring myself to delete the image because I liked the moment captured so much)

12. Noah Lyles has equal parts of character, attitude, and speed. Here he is after claiming the national title in the 200m

T&F is one of my weak sports.
Sooo many events going on simultaneously. Which one to shoot :confused:
Usually we only have 1 or 2 home meets a year, so I don't get much chance to shoot.

I like your head-on or close to head-on shots :)
I need to try that, IF I can find a good position to shoot from.

Real Name
Andy
T&F is one of my weak sports.
Sooo many events going on simultaneously. Which one to shoot :confused:
Usually we only have 1 or 2 home meets a year, so I don't get much chance to shoot.

I like your head-on or close to head-on shots :)
I need to try that, IF I can find a good position to shoot from.
My friend who organized our trip to Des Moines obtained seats five rows up in the turn beyond the finish line this time. Last time we were in the "more coveted" seats right at the finish line, which offer a great profile view of the finish, but no head-on compositions. IMO, the less-desirable seats are actually better, still offering an excellent spectator view with an added bonus of the chance to get images similar to what you would get with on track access.

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom