USA vs GREY Market flash warranty

Discussion in 'General flash photography, lighting, and technique' started by Doug, Aug 17, 2008.

1. Doug

Doug

Jan 17, 2006
    East TN
    Anybody know the rules? I swear, I am having a difficult time figuring out what either comes with.

I assume the import, the seller backs you for so long, what, 90 days? OR do they stand by 1 year with invoice?

Flashes are not 5 year warranty items anyway for USA are they?

I am thinking your as well off to save the money and go import.

Comments appreciated.

2. Cope

Cope

Apr 5, 2007
    Houston, Texas
    I can't answer your questions, except I believe that nikon USA will not repair a gray market product. IIRC, at B&H, the price difference is usually $10, so I would go for the USA model.

3. Doug

Doug

Jan 17, 2006
    East TN
    Thanks Alan, your right on the repair, but for the SB-900 it's 25.00 difference where I am looking at to get free shipping (Starts with Ado) ;) 

25 off, free shipping, is enough to pay for a DM17M. So, it's a little significant at 25 off. however, the SB900 is the most advanced speedlight yet, as such, maybe the USA warranty would be wise. I've not heard of much trouble with SB-800s, so the question seemed relevent.

thanks.

4. Cope

Cope

Apr 5, 2007
    Houston, Texas
    Doug,

When I got into DSLR, I had 30 years with Minolta, and they had already announced the pending sale to Sony. I bought gray markey flashes, because I wasn't sure of the warranty in the first place, but Minolta covered gray market unlike Nikon. With an SB-800, I wouldn't worry so much, but with a new model, I might consider blowing an extra $25, and skipping dinner for two one night.:wink:

5. Kinz

Kinz Guest

and if you're going to spend $400 -500. on the flash, what's another $30 for a good warranty?

6. Nikon repairs grey market, you just don't get the 5 year warranty. Doesn't matter though, usually when I bring a lens in, it's broken due to my own negligence!

7. Your manual with a grey market may be a photocopy version stapled together. That is what I got with my grey market SB-800

8. Ray C.

Ray C.

Nov 7, 2005
    Thailand

I agree 100%.

9. garyosborne

garyosborne Guest

Of course they will repair it for cash, just not under warranty

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.