usb air card

Discussion in 'Apple/Mac' started by LDB415, Aug 26, 2008.

1. LDB415

LDB415

Apr 26, 2008
    Texas
    I use a Sprint usb air card with my current pc. If I switch over to Mac will I be able to use that card to get to the internet? I tried to search but didn't find anything. I know it's probably in the dumb and simple question category but don't know the answer and need it. Thanks for any and all replies.

2. Not exactly sure what a "USB Air Card" is..... Most Macs come with a wireless card (Airport) already installed (it's an option on the Mac Pro), and that is how one connects to a wireless network, either at home or at a WiFi hotspot. No fuss,no muss, no extra thingies hanging off the machine......

3. Allan

Allan

Apr 21, 2006
    Nashua, NH
    The card is part of a sprint plan to access the internet - you have a connection all the time, you pay for downloads - nothing to do with wi-fi.

I Saw the Aircard 597E express card works with Macs, but I don't know about other models. I saw a 800-959-1444 as a number to call.

4. LDB415

LDB415

Apr 26, 2008
    Texas
    Yes, mine is with Sprint but all the major cellular carriers have them. That way I don't have to worry about trying to find somewhere near a hotspot to park. I don't know if they have versions for Mac or not and hoped someone here would know.

5. Allan

Allan

Apr 21, 2006
    Nashua, NH
    See post 3 - the Aircard 597E works with Mac (or so they claim.)

I wish I could justify the cost of one for the few trips I make each year.

6. Thanks for the info, guys! Somehow I had never heard about these things, but I can see how very useful they'd be, especially in areas where there is limited or no WiFi. Really cool!

7. Allan

Allan

Apr 21, 2006
    Nashua, NH
    On the plus side, faster speeds and a secure connection. On the negative side perhaps $60 a month.

8. Some work with the Mac (though I don't have a table to share). I also know that you can put one in a router and get access that way as well.

I'd suggest looking at www.3gstore.com for more info as it's a pretty good site and I do know a few people who have purchased there (I have no affiliation).

Ted