USB mouse intermittently powering down

M

Michael Mohrmann

I am currently on my fourth USB mouse with my Windows XP desktop (about four years old), and like the previous three mice, it is exhibiting the same behavior. The mice all work properly for several months, then they start powering down on their own. Disconnecting and reconnecting the USB cable always powers them back up.

It should be noted that when the mouse powers down, the USB keyboard still works, as does the USB external hard drive. Also, once the mouse starts having intermittent power issues, these issues continue to occur even when the mouse is used on another computer, like our spare laptop. It is as if once it starts to flake out, it continues to flake out. And the power up time shortens the longer it is used once it begins to fail.

Anybody ever encounter this type of issue? I have had an original Dell optical mouse, an Microsoft optical mouse, and the last two have been Logitech optical mice. All did the same thing. I sense that it might be the desktop that is causing the problem, but why the mouse and not the keyboard? And why not does it not occur until the mouse has been used for a long time (a "long time" being several months)?

Very strange.

M

Michael Mohrmann

Is the mouse connected in such a way that the wire and connections are being stressed?
I don't believe so. I thought about that after the last mouse failed, so the current mouse is connected with a USB extension cord attached to add even more slack to the wire. Worked at first, just like the other mice without the extension cord, but it too is now failing.

Could it be a build-up of dust and/or hair inside the mouse that is causing the problems? We do have indoor house cats, so loose hair is a fact of life.

That's a strange one... :confused:

Maybe the USB 5v power is over-volting...?

Maybe try checking the USB 5v output with a volt meter... You can get a decent cheap volt
meter at Radio Shack for around $10 I believe...

M

Michael Mohrmann

That's a strange one... :confused:

Maybe the USB 5v power is over-volting...?

Maybe try checking the USB 5v output with a volt meter... You can get a decent cheap volt
meter at Radio Shack for around $10 I believe...
I read your comments after you posted them, and I went to get my Radio Shack digital multimeter to test it out. The batteries were dead. LOL!

Anyway, I finally got a new set of batteries installed today and tested out the USB ports. They all read 4.9v, well within the specs (4.75-5.25v for USB 1/2).

Since I had a spare, new Logitech M100 mouse available, I went ahead and started using it about three days ago. Works without issue. So, either there is some sort of spike that is coming out of the USB ports causing the mice to become erratic, or it's my use of the mouse. Maybe I am stressing the cord entering the mouse. At least I know it's not the operating system or the drivers that is at fault.

Well if it happens again go wireless... I've been using Logitech wireless for years
and love them... Just get a set of rechargable batteries (Sanyo Eneloop are very
good) and a charger... :wink:

M

Michael Mohrmann

Well if it happens again go wireless... I've been using Logitech wireless for years and love them... Just get a set of rechargable batteries (Sanyo Eneloop are very good) and a charger... :wink:
That was my next step. Already have some Eneloop AA batteries I use for other devices (looks like the Logitech wireless mice use one or two AA batteries). Just need to find one not too small. A lot of the wireless mice I have come across look like they are designed to be used with laptops and kept small in order to be carried around.

These aren't too bad...

http://www.logitech.com/en-us/product/wireless-mouse-m525?crid=7

For my laptop I've got an older version similar to this and it's surprisingly comfortable
and not really that small... For the desktop I've got an older LX7 that I love but they
are no longer available...

If you've got a Staples or Best Buy (or equivellent) near by they usually have mice
out for display so you could try before you buy to make sure it fits your hand...

Latest threads

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Forum GIFs powered by GIPHY: https://giphy.com/
Copyright © Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom