USBG I: Orchids

Discussion in 'Macro, Flowers, Insects, and Greenery' started by lanthier, Sep 12, 2008.

1. Today, I engaged in my Friday morning phototherapy and spent 1.5 hours at the US Botanic Garden in Washington DC. It was an overcast day, which made for some great light and small crowds (except for one pesky woman who kept asking my to take her picture in front of X, Y, & Z. I obliged but after the 6th!!!! request, I was getting annoyed...). I am posting two threads from the outing, one focused on the glorious orchid collection, and the other more miscellaneous blooms. Love that place! Shot with the D700, Sigma 150mm macro, remote shutter, ISO 200, MLU, tripod mounted. Converted NEFs via ACR and not much PP...

1. f5, 1/10

91208flsm7-vi.jpg

2. f2.8, 1/50

91208flsm5-vi.jpg

3. f2.8, 1/50

91208flsm6-vi.jpg

4. f/4, 1/20

91208flsm8-vi.jpg

2. husawis

husawis Guest

Rich - great shots and light - overcast light for orchids is the best you can get - have you tried cloudy setting on WB when overcast natural light is not available?

3. rich,
    beautiful shots
    i like them all

thanks for sharing them with us

4. Crave

Crave Guest

The colours are great, this sigma sure has a nice bokeh!
    One day i will buy another macro lens, but i really like the Tamron 180mm, despite the Sigma has better quality, hsm, but is heavier!
    Dificult choice!!
    I belive you are happy with your Sigma!

5. Thanks Wanashee. I have just started using RAW so am not too familiar with all the permutations and changes I can make. Luckily, I can easily check how white balance changes affect the images. Thanks for looking, for the tips, and the comments.

Thank you Greg...

Thanks Crave. I really like this Sigma lens. The Tamron is 900 g, and the Sigma is 895, so they actually weight the same. I don't think they are heavy really, not when you try some other lenses. I owned the Sigma 180 in another mount and the AF was unbearable. Of course, you don't use AF for macro, but for close-up good AF is VERY useful.

6. Crave

Crave Guest

[/QUOTE]Thanks Crave. I really like this Sigma lens. The Tamron is 900 g, and the Sigma is 895, so they actually weight the same. I don't think they are heavy really, not when you try some other lenses. I owned the Sigma 180 in another mount and the AF was unbearable. Of course, you don't use AF for macro, but for close-up good AF is VERY useful.[/QUOTE]

Funny, i had the ideia the Tamron was ligther, but i went to check, and you are rigth!
    The Tamy weigths 920g, the Sigma 895g!

7. balmiesgirl

balmiesgirl Guest

I love the third photograph! Keep up the fantastic work.

8. mood

mood

Jun 27, 2007
    suburbia, ny
    another nice set of images Rich

went to the Bronx BG myself this morning...

9. rotxlk82

rotxlk82

Jul 20, 2007
    UK
    Lovely set Rich, particularly number two.

I can share in your pain about that “pesky woman”, when I was at Kew a couple of weeks ago I was forever being stopped by people asking me to take their photo using their equipment. I guess they viewed me as some kind of expert… I really hope the photos I took came out ok; I have no idea how to operate a P&S digital camera whatsoever.

10. Thanks for the encouragement Carole!

Thanks Frank, look forward to seeing your shots...

I don't mind, typically, but this was weird, it was the same woman who kept asking! At one point she asked me to take a picture of a bloom with her camera!!! I have never experienced anything like it. I often offer to take pictures of people. Working in, and living near, Washington DC, I try and be nice to tourists, offer directions, take photos, etc... We're so poorly regarded currently in the world, that I am just trying to change people's impressions, one person at a time. Sad but true!