Use of Color Meter to set K's on D2H....

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Retief, Feb 4, 2005.

1. Thanks to great help and advice from Iliah, a Minolta Color Meter II should be arriving at my house today, at least FedEx says it got to Seattle this AM.

The reasoning behind this acquistion is twofold. The first, obviously, is to get the "most accurate" WB I can. The second is to help me learn to judge Color Temp better.

When I am in a situation, such as a gym, I can simply walk to where the action will be, point the Color Meter toward where I will be and get my reading. But when, like tomorrow, I will be photographing birds that are 300 feet or so away, what would be the best way? In this case I don't think it will matter too much, as the Swans are on a lake so I don't have trees and foliage to change things. I would expect that tomorrow doing the reading from where I am should be quite accurate. But if I am shooting birds that are in trees 100 feet away, and I am out in the open, would it be best to walk under a tree to take a reading to simulate the environment as much as possible? I know darned good and well that trying to walk right up to my subject for a reading would work to get right color temp, but would most likely result in "no subject" :oops: .

Any suggestions welcome, I am anxious to see how much difference this makes to my final output.

2. Bill the real difference would be two fold. First the bird is in the shade and you are not. Just shade the meter when taking the reading. Second, the reflectivity of the leaves, et.al., will have some slight color shift that you may not be able to match from your location. I suggest that if you are going to be shooting birds at a given location you might preset the WB to the exact condition and then store it as one of your four presets allowed. You can then just select it when shooting at that location. I can not think of another way to do it. All said, I don't think it will make that much difference other than the shade/no shade.

3. Good point, Gordon. It should certainly be possible to find some "close" location shaded much like the birds in the trees. That would, as you point out, get me much closer. If nothing else, another techie toy to try :lol: .

Thanks,

4. jfenton

jfenton

Jan 26, 2005
    Haverhill, MA
    I have found that I've simply learened WB settings via my eyes after having attended a couple of shoots with Ron reznick and also to gbe honest after looking at scads of Yves photyo's and checking the exif on them.

I'm rarely off by much and it's a simple adjustment in NC.

Keep in mind..I shoot outdoors and notr indoors.

JF

5. The one workshop I did with Ron, a year and a half ago, wasn't enought to get my sorry old eyes and brain callibrated. My hope is that the color meter will help me get there.

It arrived today, and boy is it easy to use. Held it under my Daylight Balanced Ottlight and what do you know? 5200k, just like Capture says Dalibght Sunny out to be :) .

Now to see how it works in the morning....

6. gho

gho

Feb 7, 2005
    California
    How much was it? I may want to pick one up myself.

7. GeeJay

GeeJay

Jan 26, 2005
    Florida
    Hi Bill,

I'm looking for a full report on how the color meter works for you and all the info and details about it. I'm really curious because I need help with this..... Ron's workshop left me knowing how much I have to learn !

Please keep us posted as you progress with your new color meter.

Also, did you get it used or new and where?

Sure thank you,
    Gaye