Use of Flash at distance.....

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Retief, Feb 3, 2005.

1. I shoot night High School football, birds in trees, animals in the woods, yada-yada. For the football we can use flash, it is so humorous to get red-eye on subjects in the stands across the fields. I see folks using flash as both the main and fill for birds/animals as well and the subject of accessories like the Better Beamer often crop up.

So, with all of that, who is using flash in this manner? How well do you find things such as the Better Beamer to work? What is effective range? Does using a flash bracket, such as the ones from RRS for example, help?

Thanks,

2. Flew

Flew

Jan 25, 2005
    Alabama
    I have the same questions Bill.

Thanks,

Frank

4. The RRS bracket helps a lot when you are within a reasonable range, say 30 feet. The further out you go; i.e., with a beamer; red eye becomes a problem. The angle of incidence (I think thats what they call it) becomes less the further out you go.

5. Thanks, Gordon, I have trying to decide if I should pop for the RRS bracket to replace my Stroboframe. Especially for the 500mm. The Stroboframe has, of course, its own proprietary base that "looks like" Arca Swiss but is a bit bigger. The Red-Eye is pretty easy to fix when it shows up.

Have you used flash and the beamer or similar? How do the animals/birds react?

Thanks,

6. JC

JC

Jan 27, 2005
    Las Vegas, Nevada
    (Didn't notice this topic when I asked Harris if he used a flash extender.)

At a Great American Photo Workshop quite some years ago, either Bill Fortney or John Shaw had some bird shots using a flash extender. It was very effective, isolating the bird from the background much better than focus alone. I believe it was on-camera flash, since at a long distance moving the flash to a bracket would have little effect on red- (or green-) eye. I bought a flash extender soon afterwards, but then never got to use it. It's still in the back of my car. (As I've said, not many birds here.) But I've made myself a note to bring it with me to Merritt Island to test as fill. (Now if I can remember where I put the note....)

7. Jarrell
    Are you heading down to Merritt? If so I am lookign forward to meetign you in person, are you bringing Hannah

8. I use the RRS bracket and like it a lot. A friend used the beamer and it was pretty effective. He was/is an excellent wildlife photographer.

9. Testing