Use of Watermarks - Hate me?

Real Name
Dave
A few photos I have posted have included my watermark splashed across the photo (as it resides on smugmug). The racer/car bunch loves to do the "right-click-save-as", screen copy, or whatever they can to use photos on their websites, etc. The big old watermark keeps the "borrowing" rate down, sales up, and they can still share their photo with friends.

How does everyone feel about this? Do you want to smack me with a dead fish if I post a photo with the watermark? What do you prefer?

I'm comfortable with whatever you chose. It's your property, and you have a right to protect it. I choose to "watermark" my photos by placing a frame around them when displayed on the web. But anyone who wants to crop and resave it probably could. I suppose the demographic of your viewers is different, but I don't have a problem with stolen personal/hobby images. I keep all my professional work off the public internet which saves that headache.

While we understand your reason for watermarking (such is the nature of the internet beast), it does detract from your photos so it's really your call. If you want to show them at their best, leave it off.... but then you stand the chance of them being 'borrowed'. At least your watermark isn't bright white! :eek:

Last edited by a moderator:
T

topher04r1

i use the smugmg feature that wont allow right click ..... but I suppose people who REALLY want them can dig in to there cash and find them right ??? ...... so prehaps a light watermark in addition to that ??

Shoot, I wish I could watermark sometimes! It doesn't bother me and as for "borrowing" I like asking permission first. To me it's the right thing to do and I know there's tons of people who don't bother to ask. I feel like if you have something really nice, then be proud - to a point - and protect it. Now, just to ask a dumb question, just how do you get the watermarks?

My images are all sized 800 long side and 72 dpi and quality to bring it to about 100 k
Have fun with those printed...lolol

I started out doing that, got smacked around the first time I showed one here. I have since removed that center one from all but my most valued images. I do leave it on my "killer shots".

Then if I want to show those here, I will simply do a copy as, move the copy to a hidden gallery, and post it here or another forum for people to see. Otherwise, my smallish ones are not to abtrusive here, little more than a signature line.

I do not generally allow original size on web for viewing in public galleries, and I do implement the right click undo.

bottom watermark

I do allow one size bigger image, but not original size on web.

137531228-M-9.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

My real protective one:

136641105-M-1.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

I find watermarks ugly, so I never use them, I generally ignore pictures with large watermarks aswell (or at least become more scrutinizing as then I check to see if the persons stuff is actually worth protecting)

I only put up pictures at about 800 - 900 pixels on the long side (Dpi doesn't matter for web images, its just for printing) that will give someone a 4x6 at about 125 dpi, So decent enough to steal probably, But if they are going to go to all that trouble, then I'm not worried about losing a sale anyway.

I use Digi-Mark and Photo Tracking.

Not that my photos are all that good mind you but I felt that putting a small embeded watermark in them wouldn't hurt.

I got a gift card from work and used it to buy the digi-mark software tracking and back up.

Pretty cool deal.

It looks like a big zit on a chicks face but in this world of lowlifes I think we all understand why you do it, so its your call. Same reason I chose to carry a large caliber hand gun. Some people don`t like that either, let them call a cop who will call for back-up who will call for an ok to use force etc. I do like that tracking idea, cool.

Latest threads

Top Bottom