Used D300 prices tumbling

Discussion in 'Nikon DX DSLR' started by randyr5, Aug 4, 2008.

1. randyr5

randyr5

Jan 14, 2006
    Michigan
    One was sold over on FM for $1260 - 7K clicks, sold by a well respected member (wedding photographer). D700 has dropped value of these big time.

2. mood

mood

Jun 27, 2007
    suburbia, ny
    D3 also.......
    under $4k

3. Wow.....8 months old and that much of a drop...ugh. I only lost 200 on my D80 from original cost, and it was over 2 years old. Sad, really sad.

4. Phillip Ino

Phillip Ino

Nov 26, 2007
    Austin
    I'm glad I was able to sell mine before they got too ridiculously low.

5. tintingkc

tintingkc Guest

I would look at it more as people letting them go cheap. A few examples here and there are not a great example as a whole. Some may just want out of the bodies quick to jump on the latest and greatest.

6. cleoent

cleoent

Dec 21, 2007
    San Jose, Ca
    tintingkc i think has it right. Right now the prices are so low because people are wanting to move them fast to get their d700.

But lets be honest, the D300 is Nikon's flagship DX camera, and a lot of people dont have the ability or desire to get rid of all their DX stuff and move to the d700. So prices will stabilize. Mine isn't going anywhere :)

7. Mine's not going anywhere either...I love having one of each. :biggrin:

8. yooper

yooper

May 5, 2008
    Winona Lake, IN
    With the prices of the D300 dropping, one might make a good Christmas present ...for myself, of course! :biggrin:

There are advantages on buying last-year's technology.

9. vinman

vinman

Nov 15, 2006
    Upstate SC
    Maybe the D3 drop is a barometer of the D3X price...
    If Nikon introduces it at 7-8 large, the D3 has no reason to go down, BUT, if they introduce it at around 6, more price disparity between the two would be almost necessary...

10. Phillip Ino

Phillip Ino

Nov 26, 2007
    Austin
    Fundemental principles of supply and demand.

11. Glad I wont sell my D300 anytime soon if ever.

12. Doug

Doug

Jan 17, 2006
    East TN
    Basic supply and demand as Phillip said. There's a new knife in the drawer, and the old ones just aren't in as much demand, therefore people start cutting price to attract a buyer at some price. Once the D700 has been out a while and fewer people begin to sell one camera to get the other, I think this will level out for a while likely.

13. "Possessions are fleeting." :smile:

14. scooptdoo

scooptdoo Guest

with the US doller falling like a rock in value compared to the Euro and Yen.AND THE REST OF THE ECONOMIC WOWS OF THE WORLD.Im wondering what kind of prices were going to be seeing over the next 2 years?
    might be a good time to stay pat .keep what you have.

15. Picked up mine with a 1 year warranty and only 780 actuations for $1400 :)

I love it so far! probably won't need to buy another body - ever....

16. Yikes! Maybe I should've waited a bit longer. I think everyone's just trying to up onboard the FX body. I guess Nikon shooters have more money than Canon. When I had my 40D no one could really afford to jump to a 5D or even a 1ds MKII (or III).

17. tintingkc

tintingkc Guest

I think it has more to do with Nikon shooters waiting a long, long time for this body. Now its here and a must have.

Lets see those nice DX lenses get cheaper too. :biggrin:

18. As I've said before. Please let them drop some more so I can get one.:biggrin:

19. NPA2008

NPA2008

Apr 15, 2008
    USA
    This happens to a lot of expensive products in August. Remember this for next year. While you're at it, look for good deals on other things, if you don't need or want any more photo equipment.

20. I'm inclined to believe the D3 is being replaced by a D3H at $5000 and a D3X at (pure guess) $6500-7000.