Used equipment and pandemic

I sold lots of gear on our local Craigslist over the years, once the pandemic kicked in, zero inquiries on anything over the last 7 months.

I've been selling quite a bit of Nikon gear the last couple months during this pandemic. Amazingly, I find the demographic is much older when it comes to Nikon gear. Many people now have the free time to test and try equipment they've long desired! When I sell Sony gear, it's a younger demographic who don't have any sentiment for the equipment and are just looking to fill a work/project need. Older Nikon users are less prone to haggle especially if condition and price is reasonable!

Real Name
Andrew
There is a brick and mortar camera store here that usually has wall to wall used camera gear. I mean like, 10 full display cases of nikon, sony, Canon and Fuji gear.

Last time I went in, they could have condensed their stock into 4 displays. I asked what happened and they said that they were selling out of everything, both in store and online. I was wanting to see what they had in old Nikon CCD sensor DSLRs...but they had none! They had a few D7000, Df and higher end/mp bodies...but nothing in the D3000,D5000 range,

Folks want outdoor adventures, expensive items such as snowmobiles and side by side dirt machines are hard to come by and expensive.

JLH

I have a great local area photo shop here in Kentucky, Murhpy's Camera. I have been going there for years and know some of the folks well and they point me towards the better used gear when I am looking. Its good to find a quality shop and be a regular.
Meanwhile I really should consider selling some of my very lightly used gear like a D5200 and D7100. I really don't need five cameras and my D500 gets most of the use now.

NCV

Real Name
Nigel
I have noticed too that used gear is selling very quickly at my local dealers. Even old film gear seems to be selling faster than before. Yes, here to the shelves are bare when I look at their site.

I buy most of my gear SH and have bought a fair amount this year as I discarded M43 (just in time before the "announcement") and went all Nikon with the existing F stuff and my new Z gear.

Maybe like me, I have saved for reasons beyond my control a lot of money this year on travel, eating out and all those little seemingly trivial expenses that mount up. We calculated that ditching the Italian habit of going to the bar every morning for breakfast will have saved us at least €1500 over a year.

So much of my "fun" spending has ended up at my camera dealers.

Maybe, the fact a lot of new gear is difficult to find has moved people over to the SH market to upgrade lets say from M43 to FF.

Butlerkid

Cafe Ambassador
Administrator
Real Name
Karen
I have a great local area photo shop here in Kentucky, Murhpy's Camera. I have been going there for years and know some of the folks well and they point me towards the better used gear when I am looking. Its good to find a quality shop and be a regular.
Meanwhile I really should consider selling some of my very lightly used gear like a D5200 and D7100. I really don't need five cameras and my D500 gets most of the use now.
I've bought from Murphy's! They seem like a top notch camera store. In fact, they may be the closest such store to me in Tennessee! LOL! I've never regretted selling older gear when I upgrade. I consider my gear simply the tools I use to create images. I don't want it taking up storage space and I like that it helps fund the upgrades.

I've bought from Murphy's! They seem like a top notch camera store. In fact, they may be the closest such store to me in Tennessee! LOL! I've never regretted selling older gear when I upgrade. I consider my gear simply the tools I use to create images. I don't want it taking up storage space and I like that it helps fund the upgrades.
Some older gear I've regretted selling although downsizing and decluttering has its merits.

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom