Used glass from Adorama?

Discussion in 'Lens Lust' started by Ray C., Nov 14, 2005.

1. Ray C.

Ray C.

Nov 7, 2005
    Thailand
    Has anyone bought any used lenses from Adorama? They occasionally have what appear to be pretty good deals, plus a 100 day guarantee. Any experiences...good or bad? Also, what about KEH? The prices are a bit higher, but I hear they've got a pretty good reputation on used glass.

Thanks!

2. Flew

Flew

Jan 25, 2005
    Alabama
    Ray,

Cafe co founder Patrick bought a used 600 f4 from Adorama, kept it for a couple of weeks, and returned it, no questions asked (it just wasn't what he was looking for). Based on his limited experiences, I'd say that you can trust them. I've also heard good reports about KEH.

Hope that helps. :smile:

3. I've had two buying experiences with KEH. No problems with their business side and return policy, however their techie side didn't treat me well.

I bought a 28mm f/2.0 and they sent me a 28mm f/2.8 by mistake. The final product was in great shape for a fair price. Even though they made a mistake they charged my credit card before sending the correct lens. I got credit though once the wrong lens got back there.

The 35mm f/1.4 was a disaster. The lens was supposed to be excellent + but it had been very heavily used. I wouldn't focus and the action was very loose. There was dust inside the lens. A cursory look would make you think that it was great but upon closer review the smaller lettering was rubbed clear of paint. That and the inability to achieve sharp focus should have made them look harder.

They got screwed by the person who sold it to them. Nevertheless they should have inspected the lens more carefully and not bought it or given the seller rock bottom for it...and they should have checked it out before selling it. They were very embarassed and credited my card along with the return postage.

Would I give them another chance...sure they're good for their word. I just hope the improve their backroom technical staff.

Rich

4. I usually buy used from B&H, but I once bought a used 60mm macro from Adorama. Lens was as advertised, no problems. Sometimes you can pick up reconditioned newer-model lenses from the Nikon website that have a 90 day guarantee. Hope this helps !!

5. I buy my gear exclusively from KEH as far as for lenses and bodies. For accessories, B&H is who I use. With either place, I have never had a single problem and they have been always more than helpful. The only reason why I don't purchase things from Adorama is that they don't ship to APO/FPO addresses. If they did, I might buy things from them as well. I have also purchased via private sale and met some great people that way.

6. I've purchased from KEH in the past and was very pleased with the transaction. The used lens I purchased was rated excellent but when I received the lens it looked perfectly new without a single blemish. The price was very reasonable as well. I always keep an eye out on their used lenses for a bargain.

7. Ray C.

Ray C.

Nov 7, 2005
    Thailand
    Thank you all very much for the info! I appreciate it. Now, I've just gotta get approval from the boss, um...I mean wife! :biggrin:

Seabee, I've got an APO address also, so that really helps knowing that Adorama won't ship. I guess I could always use my folks address and have them forward the package, but that's a PITA... By the way, are you guys getting the Stars and Stripes down there in Italy? If so, you'll see some of my photos :wink:

8. Ken-L

Ken-L Guest

I have bought from, and sold to KEH. No problems!

I usually buy from B&H - never had a problem there either.

9. Ray,

We do get Stars and Stripes here. Let me know the date of the paper the photos will be in and I will get a copy.

God Bless,
    David

10. Sandro Bravo

Sandro Bravo

Nov 18, 2005
    Portugal
    I bought a Sigma 15mm F2.8 Fisheye recently and as far as i can tell it was like a brand new one.....i'd buy from them again if i knew that portuguese customs wouldn't make me pay half of the lense price in taxes, again....:rolleyes:

11. You're being CHEATED, Sandro...

....by your own country.

Portugal is in the EU, right?

There are NO IMPORT TAXES for photographic equipment from the USA. Period. Nada. Nothing.
    Your (ignorant or malicious?)Portuguese officials are taking you for a ride.

You just pay Portuguese VAT.

Take a look at the EU's website re. taxes, I believed it's called the TARIC website.

HTH.

12. Sandro Bravo

Sandro Bravo

Nov 18, 2005
    Portugal

You're probably right, since we get "officially mugged" by taxes on everything.....50% of the price you pay for a car overhere is taxes only...we have also 21% VAT, etc, etc...

I've found the site you told and apparently there are no such taxes, anyway, i'll have to try and dig up some information on this....thanks for the info.

P.S: i got the lense from KEH, not Adorama....excellent service...the order took more time to be dispatched from portuguese customs than it took to order it online getting here....