Used Lens Prices Are Going Up (again)

Discussion in 'Lens Lust' started by Gary Mayo, Jul 1, 2008.

1. Gary Mayo

Gary Mayo Guest

With the release of a second Full Frame Nikon camera, used lenses will be going up in price (again.)

I shop around for good deals for my glass collection, and with another FF camera out there, many lenses will be more scarce. If you think 3 grand is nuts for an old 1.4 lens, wait till it is 5 grand!

2. Or 1 grand when Nikon eventually replaces it :biggrin:

3. 5 grand? Whatever the market will support I guess.

I have noticed the prices of 35-70's going up on KEH over the past few months. Most likely the same will be going on with the 80-200's as well.

4. archangel

archangel

Apr 15, 2008
    ny
    if FF is going up, does that mean the dx will come down? hmmmm...

5. Randy

Randy

May 11, 2006
    now that was very funny

6. I doubt they'll go up much if any. If they do go up they'll just lose sales. I personally can't afford to take a hit on any gear just because a new FX camera hit the market.

Besides, it's not like oil. I don't need it to survive. This is just a hobby for me anyway. :smile:

7. johnmh

johnmh

Nov 21, 2007
    Greater NYC
    Well....given the performance of the US dollar and the REAL inflation rate here, ANYTHING of tangible lasting value will be increasing in price.......

Can you claim that Nikon Lenses are 'investments' for your 401K?

8. jamesd3rd

jamesd3rd

May 4, 2007
    So. Cal
    When all else fails...blame it on the price of gas :biggrin:

9. I thought the used glass prices spiked due to an un named collector in Nebraska buying everything in sight.:biggrin:

Cheers

Ted:smile:

10. The B

The B Guest

You're not talking about an 28 1,4 AF-S, are you?

11. If they cost more they must be better.

12. Hotplate

Hotplate

Oct 23, 2007
    Austin, TX
    I've heard (for what that's worth) Nikon will be releasing a new 28, 35 and 50 here relatively soon. I'm sure that will affect the prices on the older versions of those three to some extent.

13. This is just the beginning, or so I hope. I am far from a pro and new primes while nice would not be something I would be looking at. Now an updated 80-400 VR with AF-S that is a different story!

14. thrdprophet

thrdprophet

May 13, 2007
    Modesto, CA
    I would imagine with more FF bodies coming out. Nikon has probably a bunch of FF lenses up there sleeves that they will be announcing in the very near future.

Remember they only made about 1700-1800 of the 28 1.4 AF-D

Logic tells me that there are going to be a lot more D3, D700 owners by the end of the year.

Nikon is successful not because there stupid... but because they know what they're doing to effect there bottomline.

15. I'm with Ted

I am with Ted, I thought the prices were going up cause you (Gary) are buying everything in sight!!! :wink::biggrin:

Which is just about the best lens I have :) 

16. LOL!:biggrin:

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.