Used lenses on sale at Rentglass.com

Discussion in 'Lens Lust' started by Dave Dickerson, Mar 26, 2007.

1. Here's the link: http://www.rentglass.com/saleshop.aspx.

Prices look good on some of these items. These are rentals, so I'm guessing the lenses haven't been babied. I've rented from Rentglass.com once, and they were great to deal with. The lens I rented was in good shape (although the front element was pretty dirty when it arrived).

According to the notification e-mail from Rentglass, more inventory will be listed later, so check the page above if you're looking for something.

2. Dave

Dave

Feb 7, 2007
    Suwanee, GA
    Hmm...it makes me wonder why they are selling these lenses instead of still renting them. I wonder if there was something wrong with them...just makes me curious. Thanks for the link though Dave.

3. Wonder if their condition rating is system is like KEH's?

4. bep207

bep207

Nov 27, 2006
    Columbia, MO
    there is a description of the rating system if you click on an individual lens

i just bought an 80-200 2.8 for $380. In the condition it listed the only flaw as being minor scuffs and that the filter threads have been cross threaded and may not mount filters correctly

Sounded like a steal to me. I will let you know the condition when I get it.
    Ive always got 3 days to return it too.

Blake

5. fyrbolt

fyrbolt

Feb 2, 2007
    Las Vegas
    I am wondering if anyone else here has rented from them and what experiences they had. Their rates look good.

Dave, you're the first person I know about that has rented from them and you seem to have had a good experience. I may have to give it a try.

6. The biggest problem with renting from them is that most of their Nikon mount stuff is not available most of the time. The lens I rented was one I just wanted to try out, so I signed up for e-mail notification of availability. The first two times I got the notification, I responded within 20 minutes of the time the e-mail hit my server and I was still too late; the third time I got lucky. They don't have an advance reservation system that would guarantee you'd have a rental lens for, say, vacation or a wedding.

7. Nuteshack

Nuteshack Guest

they might have reached the bottom of their depreciation levels and are dumping them for new stock ..???

8. Stef

Stef

Nov 1, 2005
    Peoria, AZ

I rented an 18-200VR from them. I didn't have any problems at all, and would rent from them again.
    I'm not real impressed with their price for a used (who knows how many times) 18-200VR. It seems they are selling it for just about the same as list price for a new one. :eek:

9. Dave

Dave

Feb 7, 2007
    Suwanee, GA
    I've only rented from them once and that was for the 180 f/2.8 lens that I still have. I rented it for 2 weeks and I should have only gotten it for 1 week. I'm glad that I have realized that 180mm is a little too short for most of my shooting and that I find myself going back to my 70-300 VR lens more often than I have been reaching for the 180 over this past week. I have the lens until the middle of next week though when it is scheduled to go back and thus I am forcing myself to use it wherever possible.

I initially thought the 180 f/2.8 would be a good low light tele for me to add, but I find the prime a bit restrictive and realize I am more of a zoom kind of guy. I do like using my 50 f/1.8 occasionally and I could see myself getting the 85 f/1.8 for night Atlanta Braves games or going to see the Atlanta Thrashers or Hawks and maybe the occasional portrait. I think that would be the better choice though as the faster f/stop will help me out and I won't need the length as much as normally we sit fairly close when we go.

I would rent from them again, but I have to agree with Dave Dickerson, most of the time their Nikon stuff is out of stock and very hard to find what you want to rent in stock there.

Another good place (although they don't have as much inventory) is www.lensprotogo.com. I've rented from this guy many times and he is great to deal with and I will be giving him more business in the future (probably for the 85 f/1.4).

10. Dave (peet), thanks for the info on lensprotogo.com. While, as you say, they stock fewer Nikon mount lenses, they do allow to reserve lenses up to 3 months in advance.

11. Dave

Dave

Feb 7, 2007
    Suwanee, GA
    I didn't know you could reserve lenses from them...but I do know they provide great service and ship their lenses in hard Pelican cases. It's a very good service and great working with them. Good luck and glad I could help.