1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

Used Lenses

Discussion in 'Lens Lust' started by FramptonPhotography, Mar 11, 2011.

1. In general, would you buy a used lens off Craigslist or something?

2. Buying anything used from any source is a risky thing, but can be very rewarding for those of us who don't have lots of money.
    If you are scared of the risks, don't do it.

3. I tend to stay with FM forums for used equipment. There rating system puts my mind at ease more than buying a lens from craiglist. I guess once you learn what to look for (dust, oil, aperture blades), meeting someone locally would be a better idea since you can physically look/try the lens.

But as Chris stated, if your on a budget used can be very rewarding. There is some wonderful glass out there collecting dust.

4. Check focus, lens mount filter threads, zoom and/or MF focus rings. Also take a couple test shots. If it checks out, no problem!

5. Fred Miranda?

6. nu2scene

nu2scene

Sep 27, 2007
    Las Vegas
    The problem is, the seller is usually trying to unload a 10+ year old lens for $50 less than a new one.

7. I've bought several lenses and a tripod off craigslist, all have been great purchasing experiences. I get to test out the equipment prior to buying it, all the sellers have been extremely flexible with both meeting up and letting me try everything before I buy. Recommended.

8. CBags04

CBags04

Feb 22, 2011
    VA
    I personally wouldn't buy from CL unless I could try it first.

9. Esexx

Esexx

Sep 21, 2009
    Redondo Beach
    I boung my 300s from CL. The seller was just as cautious with me as I was with him. Everything I asked for he did (ie: test shots in RAW and serial number so I could see if it was stolen)

Turned out to be a great transaction and a really great guy. (semi pro photographer) We met at my work so if any funny business went on I'd be prepared and it made him feel safe too.

It was great for me, just be careful and if something doesnt feel right, don't do it.

10. I've had great luck buying and selling on CL. Make sure you meet up in a public area (Starbucks is always a good place) I prefer CL in general because I can inspect the lens in person.

11. Martytoof

Martytoof

Sep 21, 2010
    Ontario
    This is usually my experience. I've had great luck with craigslist when I can find sane sellers ;) 

On the other hand, I'm trying to unload my Sigma 30 1.4 on craigslist here and I can't count the number of "WILL YOU TAKE $100 BECAUSE I CAN BUY THIS ONLINE FOR $100" emails I've deleted.

12. I have bought used lenses from a number of sources : Henrys - never had an issue, they deal in clean gear. I got burned on a lens from E-Bay, you don't get to see/try it out & the shipping costs weren't worth trying to get my money back; I scrapped it. Have bought a couple of lenses on Kijiji, which would be similar to Craigslist where you get to meet the owner, try it out, then decide. I have not had any problems this way, so E-Bay is toast for me, you only get one chance to burn me.

13. I've had good luck buying and selling off CL and Kijiji personally. It's like anything, you have to be extremely cautious, and if something smells funny, it generally is. I would buy off me though, since my gear is meticulously maintained, and I'm not a scam artist. There's lots of other people out there like me, and that's the point. You just need to look carefully for them. You can usually tell a lot from the ad, and the photos. Any unwillingness to share info or sketchiness I detect, I steer clear. I've met some great people and great photogs through these sources though, so don't be afraid to give it a go. Just beware of anything that doesn't seem right. Do everything face to face and cash only. Just my two cents...

I have bought a minty Zeiss 100/f2, 28/f2.8 AIS, 50/f2 AIS, 105/f2.5 AIS, F75 and D2H all through CL/Kijiji at various times... although I still try to buy as much of my gear through dealers (usually new) as possible.

14. kixsand

kixsand

Nov 13, 2009
    Toronto
    I've had some good experiences with Craigslist. I picked up a 2 month old 35mm F2 for $200 and the guy that owned it just lived a few streets away from me!

I found a 28-105 to use as a stop gap normal zoom on my D700 - $200. The lady selling this worked right near my house.

I can't say that I've had as much fun selling on CL. I had to jump through all sorts of hoops to complete the sale of my Tokina 11-16. I drove all the way out to Mississauga(30 minutes from Toronto) and the guy stiffed me $10 on the purchase price..."sorry, that's all I've got", he says.

15. I have both bought and sold on CL with great success. I always meet in a local coffee shop and equipment is always checked.

16. Nchesher

Nchesher

Jul 7, 2006
    Lansing,MI
    I've had nothing but good experiences buying used lenses here on the cafe.

17. Joves

Joves

Feb 10, 2009
    Nowhereland
    Well I have bought several items off of Craigs with no problem. One lens and a tripod for the photography related. You can try it before paying for it unless they are hiding something. If they wont let you then dont buy. Also you will want to meet in a very public busy place, if they wont meet you in such a place, pass.

18. sprdv1

sprdv1

Oct 22, 2010
    Missouri
    Just try it out before you hand over the $$.

19. There is not a single thing in my signature that was purchased new except for my SB-700, and that is only because there aren't any on the used market at a discount to make it economical to give up the warranty.

20. +1

my three best lenses, 70-200vr1, 24/1.4g and 105vr were from CL, FM and the cafe, respectively. all three are still like new, are sharp copies, and perform wonderfully with zero issues. saved $1000 total in comparison to buying new.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.