Used prices for Z6 vs Z7

I was surprised to see that B&H is selling a used Z6 and Z7 body in the same condition (10 -- preowned equipment, appears as new) at very different price reductions compared to the price of a new body. The Z6 is 25% off and the Z7 is only 15% off.
What surprises me though is how fast the Z6 has gone down in value. For example the Sony A7III doesn't sell as low as the Z6, despite being out longer. Either Nikon has made too many Z bodies or just isn't selling enough.

The Z cameras got such bad press when they came out. I think a lot of the YouTuber's were very unfair right from the start. But Nikon put out so much hype with their pre-release ads, I think that people were expecting them to be much better than the Sony's, and they weren't. I was swayed at first by the YouTube hype, but then I started listening to people on the cafe who were loving the camera. I'm glad I did. My local camera store is very cold when it comes to the Nikon mirrorless. They are mainly a Nikon dealer, I didn't buy my Z6 from them because they weren't even carrying it in stock. They had one Z7 that I was able to look at. When I was there a week ago, they didn't have either camera in stock. I wonder if it just hasn't been able to overcome the initial bad press. I hope my dealer is the exception and that other dealers are promoting the Z cameras. I watched this video last night and really enjoyed it. Nikon Z Reconsidered

The Z cameras got such bad press when they came out. I think a lot of the YouTuber's were very unfair right from the start. But Nikon put out so much hype with their pre-release ads, I think that people were expecting them to be much better than the Sony's, and they weren't. I was swayed at first by the YouTube hype, but then I started listening to people on the cafe who were loving the camera. I'm glad I did. My local camera store is very cold when it comes to the Nikon mirrorless. They are mainly a Nikon dealer, I didn't buy my Z6 from them because they weren't even carrying it in stock. They had one Z7 that I was able to look at. When I was there a week ago, they didn't have either camera in stock. I wonder if it just hasn't been able to overcome the initial bad press. I hope my dealer is the exception and that other dealers are promoting the Z cameras. I watched this video last night and really enjoyed it. Nikon Z Reconsidered
Excellent observations Terri. I'm happy with mine too. No local shop here, but Nikon Café members to the rescue.

If I was in the market right now for this type of camera, I would have already ordered the used Z6 from B&H. At 25% off the regular price, at a condition that they rate as "appears as new," with a 3-month warranty and a no-questions-asked 30 day return policy, it's probably one heck of a lot of camera for the money.

My guess here is that some people didn't purchase either camera body at all for various reasons, including the fact that this was Nikon's first time out of the gate with a line of full-frame mirrorless bodies and a new mount, including an adapter for use with F-mount lenses along with a few accompanying new S-mount native lenses. Others may have decided to watch and see, or were unduly influenced by reviews and then in the meantime made a different choice or are actually still waiting. Still others may have purchased either of the bodies and a lens or two and then decided that this wasn't for them after all -- hence the surprising availability and prices on the used market.

I think people were expecting a killer camera from Nikon. When the reviews weren't that great it took the wind out of the sails so to speak. I think the AF was the biggest complaint if I remember correctly. Altho the single card slot didn't help. When you put out a new product that people are expecting to be the best and it isn't it takes a while for people to forgive and forget.

They are better cameras now then when they first appeared but it has taken over nine months to accomplish this. Don't get me wrong I like my Z 7 but must admit It was a little disappointing after shooting with it for a while when new.

Nikon has been very responsive and responsible, releasing 3 or 4 firmware updates/upgrades, one of which was major. I believe that helped shift attitudes towards the positive end, and as Terri's post shoes the more adult of the web gurus have consequently revised their earlier doom and gloom stories.

I'd hate to be an early adopter only to see the price drop this low. I can't even find Canon R or RP cameras used or refurb'ed like the Z bodies.

On the plus side, I could see Nikon going for an all-out Z sales blitz come holiday season!

Last edited:
But it is a killer camera.

I dont get it. The Z7 exactly is what I expected.
It's good that you feel that way. But with all the prerelease hype I believe there were people that expected more. I know I bought into all the hype, not very smart of me.

I purchased my Z at release and the more I use it the more I learn from it.

I came back to Nikon because of this camera. I had been shooting other brands of mirrorless for a few years but they all, imo lacked something I got from shooting Nikon. Since buying the Z I have sold my last Nikon DSLR and am all in with the Z.

Im sorry if you think Im bashing the Z series. Im not. We all have opinions obviously mine are different than yours.

Can I say I'm one of those people wishing Nikon had included two card slots, especially an SD slot or even two XQD/CF Express slots? One thing I give credit to Sony is that they put a deep buffer, that even slow'ish UHS-I SD cards aren't that big of an issue. I have about an 89 raw buffer and can shoot in C-AF with not much of a hiccup at 10fps. I'm surprised even with XQD cards, Nikon put a small'ish buffer in the Z bodies.

With Sony, I only need UHS-II when recording 4k, which I don't do at all. Even for jobs I shoot video for, 1080p is fine. Saying that with prices dropping so low on the Z6 and the new FW really balancing performance out, I still might pick up a body before end of year.

Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Have yet to fill my Z6 buffer.

View attachment 1643048

Have yet to fill my Z6 buffer.
I have no problem with XQD, but unless there are two slots, an additional SD slot is incredibly convenient especially if you're traveling the back country. You can buy micro SD cards (with an SD adapter) and SD cards anywhere in the world and for cheap. Also the used market is responding in accordance, especially at these low prices. People want two slots.

I can't remember where I read this but the article was about the CF Express cards being so fast that the buffer problem that some people have or think they will have, will be diminished to almost 0. I don't remember believing all that was said but it was interesting.

If I find it I'll post a link.

Real Name
Chris
I have no problem with XQD, but unless there are two slots, an additional SD slot is incredibly convenient especially if you're traveling the back country. You can buy micro SD cards (with an SD adapter) and SD cards anywhere in the world and for cheap. Also the used market is responding in accordance, especially at these low prices. People want two slots.
I don’t understand the hoopla about wanting two card slots. Back in the day, it was a big deal because of write speeds and being able to “ping pong” back and forth or split files to mitigate write speeds. With XQD that’s a non issue. Then there are people who claim that it’s for “backup” in case of card failures. My answer to that is 1) I’ve never had a card failure and I’ve shot in some extreme environments including cards that sat submerged in water for a couple hours. 2) if you are truly that concerned still, there are systems designed for this camera to wirelessly transmit full res images to a device as you shoot.

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom