Used vs Gray market

Hi,
I've been watching sales on Ebay for some lenses, it seems that used Nikon USA lenses sometimes go for almost the same price as New Gray Market lenses. Wouldn't it make more sense to buy a New gray market lens from a reputable dealer vs a used Nikon USA lens? I ask this under the presumption that the warranty is not transferable, hence making one of the benefits of a nikon usa lens moot.

Thanks!

Warranty is one thing, getting Nikon USA to even repair it is another.

They won't touch gray market lenses, warranty or not.

That is their official policy. I don't own any grey markets items, but many others here have said they sent their items to Nikon and got them serviced. I don't know if it a don't ask, don't tell situation, but they do get fixed.

Real Name
Mike
I've read all about this over the past several months. I do believe that Nikon won't repair a grey item even if you pay for it. The reason I've read is to control where items are sold (originating countries) for price control.

What I don't understand is why does any dealer sell these? What is the benefit? I wouldn't mind going to KEH and paying them to repair it but most items are so close in price to the USA versions.

I want to buy a used 300 2.8 soon but I want to make sure they'll service it in England even though I buy it here. I'll pay for service but if they refuse me I'll be up a creek.

Real Name
Mike
So, I need to buy a USA lens and the seller needs to provide me with a receipt so I can at least service it in the UK if I need to for some reason. That is what I was thinking based on what I've read as well.

Nikon is a large multi-nation corporation. USA models are imported and serviced by Nikon USA. They want people in the US to buy from them. About the only leverage they have is to say they will not honor the (Nikon USA) warranty and not repair non-USA models.
However, I have never heard of someone shipping a camera to Nikon USA and have them return it because it was not a USA model.

"On the other hand if you actually go to another country and buy a lens and then bring it here and have the receipt to prove you actually bought it yourself – then they will service it"

Edward is correct

"So, I need to buy a USA lens and the seller needs to provide me with a receipt so I can at least service it in the UK if I need to for some reason. That is what I was thinking based on what I've read as well"

Only if you purchase a USA lens from an authorized Nikon dealer while in the states. Nikon would consider it imported and not grey market in the UK. If I buy a lens from Ying Yang Camera in Hong Kong on ebay and have it shipped to the states I am screwed. If I am in Hong Kong and buy the same lens from an authorized dealer and bring it home I am OK. GH

"So, I need to buy a USA lens and the seller needs to provide me with a receipt so I can at least service it in the UK if I need to for some reason. That is what I was thinking based on what I've read as well"

Only if you purchase a USA lens from an authorized Nikon dealer while in the states. Nikon would consider it imported and not grey market in the UK.

Is that a supposition, or have you actually experienced this?

I ask because the USA is the only country I have seen where genuine Nikon items are divided two categories, "grey" and "USA", and both are sold at different prices.

Real Name
Mike
In my case, a new one would be something I probably can't afford. I would buy one used, but it would be from a seller in the U.S. who bought it here in the U.S. and had the receipt. When I go to the UK I could have it serviced as it wouldn't be rejected because it was bought from an authorized U.S. dealer and my receipt would prove that.

Then again, this sounds like so much trouble but I can't afford another $2K just to get a new one.

I personally sent a D1h , which I had purchased used , to the Nikon facility in Melville for a firmware upgrade , which was by the offered as a free upgrade , and the camera was sent back to me with no upgrade done and a note attached telling me my camera was a grey market import and that it was their policy to not service any grey market items .

I don't even understand why places like Adorama even bother selling grey market lenses, when the USA models are typically only 5-10% more. I mean who takes the chance for that small of a difference?

Latest threads

Top Bottom