Used Z 7 prices

Real Name
Andy
I owned a Z 7 long enough to test it against the Z 6, and have been anticipating the possibility of springing for a Z 7 II. In browsing fredmiranda.com, I noticed that the original Z 7 used market price is down in the US$1500 area. That's sounding like a bargain to me. Thoughts?

Real Name
Randy
I owned a Z 7 long enough to test it against the Z 6, and have been anticipating the possibility of springing for a Z 7 II. In browsing fredmiranda.com, I noticed that the original Z 7 used market price is down in the US$1500 area. That's sounding like a bargain to me. Thoughts?
My rule of thumb has always been 30% off was good enough to buy used based on age and condition of course. Isn’t that about 50% off?

Butlerkid

Cafe Ambassador
Administrator
Real Name
Karen
There is some temptation there but I do have an 850 and Z6. Perhaps the next gen Z that can focus on BIF and sports better than 850.
That will require a very big improvement. My D850 performs very close to my D5....... I don't hesitate to use it for birds. Take off shot....D850 f6.3
However, the eye tracking performance of the Sony and Canon mirrorless is VERY impressive. That is the next big challenge for Nikon, IMHO.

Real Name
Andy
However, the eye tracking performance of the Sony and Canon mirrorless is VERY impressive. That is the next big challenge for Nikon, IMHO.
I was extremely impressed with the Sony A7III Eye AF. It finds and locks on to the eye pretty much without fail, even for a full length portrait. Nikon Eye AF gives up on the eyes and reverts to face detection the moment you start to back up from the subject.

Butlerkid

Cafe Ambassador
Administrator
Real Name
Karen
I was extremely impressed with the Sony A7III Eye AF. It finds and locks on to the eye pretty much without fail, even for a full length portrait. Nikon Eye AF gives up on the eyes and reverts to face detection the moment you start to back up from the subject.
And the Sony and Canon mirrorless lock on BIF's in flight almost immediately and keep focus even with erratic moves!

You have to remember, DOF more than takes care at that stage, there is no *need* to have eye detect once you are that far from the cmera and Nikon realise this.

Congrats on the new purchase. Purchasing camera bodies that are one gen behind is a good strategy. Let's fact it most of us only use a fraction of what modern cameras are capable of and it saves a lot of capital. Plus it gives time for any issues with new models to be exposed and/or corrected.

Well I decided to pull the trigger on a used Z 7. A "new to me" megapixel machine is slated for delivery this week. I suppose I should free up some hard drive space now.
Have fun with it. A few weeks ago I traded in a bunch of old gear on a Z6. I went back a few days later and exchanged that for a Z6 II with the kit lens. I am nearly ready to sell my D750. The Z6 II does what I used the D750 for in a better package for me. I can easily see myself moving to the higher MP camera in the future, though.

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom