Useful monopod trick

Discussion in 'Other Cool Gear, Camera Bags, Camera Straps' started by Frits, Nov 16, 2005.

1. Jonathan's earlier thread ( https://www.nikoncafe.com/vforums/showthread.php?t=56958 ) reminds me of a very useful monopod trick.

The weight of the pod will eventually push the metal tube through the rubber foot (trust me, it will :biggrin: ). After that you will be pushing your pod (tube) into the dirt etc. and end up with a mess all the time.

Here is the 5 cents trick (literally): Remove (pull off) the rubber foot from your pod. Then, insert a coin into the rubber foot that just fits on the bottom of the foot (a US 5 cents works great on my Manfrotto pod). Re-fit the rubber foot on your pod and voilĂ  - it will hold a heavy load just about forever :biggrin: :biggrin:

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 15, 2017
  2. Baywing

Baywing

Feb 22, 2005
    CT USA
    The same idea works for walkers, canes and other devices as we get older.....sigh......

3. Flew

Flew

Jan 25, 2005
    Alabama
    I had exactly this problem on my Bogen 679. I put a new rubber on the end, but put a metal washer inside it first, that covered up the sharp end of the bottom tube. So far, no repeat of the problem. :smile:

4. Rob

Rob

Jul 28, 2005
    Truro, Cornwall, UK
    The rubber foot of Leki walkers poles come fitted with bifurcated washers to prevent damage to the foot end.
    Not intending to black cat anybody.:smile:

5. GaryW

GaryW Guest

Cheap monopod

I just learned this recently. I haven't tried it yet, but it sounds like it would work.

Get a piece of string, and tie one end to the thingie that goes into your camera when you use a tripod. Attach it to your camera.

Step on the other end of the string and pull up until taut. The string acts as a monopod for up and down jiggles.