Usefulness of GretagMacbeth Color Checker

Discussion in 'General Technical Discussion' started by Rich Gibson, Feb 22, 2005.

1. This was discussed yesterday in DPR. The OP used it for some product photography. Although his work is excellent, it was stunning after he used the checker to calibrate his image.

I wonder how much is his technique and just how much one can expect this to help. I've been through Ron Reznick's ebook twice and it's still like black magic. He comes up with little bumps, valleys and slopes in the histogram but his explanation of where these come from eludes me.

Thanks, Rich

2. Bump

No comments? No one finds it useful? Hey, c'mon guys, break away from the madhouse over at DPR and spend some time here?

Rich :?

3. Todd_D1x

Todd_D1x

Feb 23, 2005
    Austin, TX
    Hi Rich, I am here, thanks for the invite.... Todd

4. Flew

Flew

Jan 25, 2005
    Alabama
    Re: Bump

Hey Rich,

I find it very interesting, but I'm waiting for someone that has answers to respond, just like you.... :? Maybe Iliah or Peter could help, or Joe Marques.

Regards,

Frank

5. Iliah

Iliah

Jan 29, 2005
    nowhere
    I would love to respond, I just do not understand the question :)

6. Does anyone use them? How do you use them? Are they worth the money?
    I saw some beautiful product photography using the 85mm f/1.4 and the color checker for post processing. The images made an already beutiful image stunning. The sell for about $67.00 here in the US at B&H Photo.

Thanks, Rich

7. Iliah

Iliah

Jan 29, 2005
    nowhere
    Yes, you can use them. Imn two ways - to make a "situation" colour profile, or to adjust colour in Photoshop/whatever according to the values/look of the targets. If you want, I can provide "reference" images of the targets, to use for compare/editing. Slash. :)

Very useful tool, though ColorChecker DC/SG is much more useful for profiling.

8. There you go again... What is a DC/SG ColorChecker?

Thanks for hanging in there!

Rich

9. Iliah

Iliah

Jan 29, 2005
    nowhere
  10. Flew

Flew

Jan 25, 2005
    Alabama
    Hey Rich,

Todd_D1X has posted several shots where he used the color checker, and also some commentary on how he uses it and its effectiveness. Very, very interesting. I'm definitely going to check into this tool during the week-end.

Regards,

Frank

11. Iliah

Iliah

Jan 29, 2005
    nowhere
    white balance from CC has to be from the second patch, near white.