Usefulness of GretagMacbeth Color Checker

This was discussed yesterday in DPR. The OP used it for some product photography. Although his work is excellent, it was stunning after he used the checker to calibrate his image.

I wonder how much is his technique and just how much one can expect this to help. I've been through Ron Reznick's ebook twice and it's still like black magic. He comes up with little bumps, valleys and slopes in the histogram but his explanation of where these come from eludes me.

Thanks, Rich

Bump

No comments? No one finds it useful? Hey, c'mon guys, break away from the madhouse over at DPR and spend some time here?

Rich :?

Re: Bump

Rich Gibson said:
No comments? No one finds it useful? Hey, c'mon guys, break away from the madhouse over at DPR and spend some time here?

Rich :?

Hey Rich,

I find it very interesting, but I'm waiting for someone that has answers to respond, just like you.... :? Maybe Iliah or Peter could help, or Joe Marques.

Regards,

Frank

Iliah said:
I would love to respond, I just do not understand the question :)

Does anyone use them? How do you use them? Are they worth the money?
I saw some beautiful product photography using the 85mm f/1.4 and the color checker for post processing. The images made an already beutiful image stunning. The sell for about $67.00 here in the US at B&H Photo.

Thanks, Rich

Yes, you can use them. Imn two ways - to make a "situation" colour profile, or to adjust colour in Photoshop/whatever according to the values/look of the targets. If you want, I can provide "reference" images of the targets, to use for compare/editing. Slash. :)

Very useful tool, though ColorChecker DC/SG is much more useful for profiling.

DC and SG color checkers look like this:

ColorChecker_DC_ColorimetricRender.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Main difference between them is that in SG 6 glossy patches are replaced with semi-gloss.

Accutate Pro-Photo simulation of DC target in ProPhoto RGB can be found here:
http://www.pochtar.com/gamut_view/ColorChecker_DC_ColorimetricRender.tif

Hey Rich,

Todd_D1X has posted several shots where he used the color checker, and also some commentary on how he uses it and its effectiveness. Very, very interesting. I'm definitely going to check into this tool during the week-end.

Regards,

Frank

Latest threads

Top Bottom