USGP Winner - Lewis Hamilton

Discussion in 'Transportation' started by racefan, Jun 18, 2007.

1. With over 3000 shots to go thru from the weekend (most headed for bit heaven) I thought I'd quickly grab a few of the winner...

2. Great captures, Ron.
  3. Great shots ... thanks for sharing!!

4. Very nice!

Is that Dr. "Z" on the podium? I guess MB is the constructor...
  5. Geo31

Geo31 Guest

Technically no. McLaren is the constructor. However, MB provides the engines. And, there have been rumors of MB buying the controlling interest in McLaren.

I'm sure he was there representing McLaren and MB is considered a technical partner (and a de facto partner as well as I'm sure there is plenty of investment in McLaren).
  6. Ghunger

Apr 2, 2007
    Seattle, WA
    Bah, spoilers :frown:. Still havn't gotten a chance to watch this on TIVO. Nice pics though. :smile:
  7. Great pictures. Good job to both you and young Mr. Hamilton. Too bad Schui retired last year, it would be fun to watch those two go at it.

8. hehe... Ghunger: You thought you could make it past Tuesday without hearing the result?!!!

Thanks for your nice comments folks - it was great fun. I'm sure I've got some nicer ones buried in this mountain of files - I'll post one or two if I find them.
  9. When the champagne fight started they all went straight for the defenseless Dr. Z - even Massa was spraying him.
  10. Nicely panned, Ron! Tell us your secrets :wink:. I was surprised to see such a quick shutter speed.... but it worked!

11. Thanks for the compliment Frank.

Secrets = Dumb luck (3000+ frames and even a blind hog will find an acorn)

I shot some as low as 160 but I think those may have a pretty low % of keepers. I had a 1.4TC on a Sigma 120-300 most of the time. This particular shot was after I pooped out and went up in the stands at Turn 6 to sit with my bride - it's a crop from a pretty long distance shot at 420mm from a monopod footed on shakey temporary stands - doubt I'd have gotten anything at all slower than 250 with my jerky panning.

btw: just to complete the story - after comparing shots with the new Sigma to ones with my 70-200VR with and without 1.7TC last year - I've decided to return the Sigma to my dealer and get a 300VR! I'm seriously hooked on this racing photo thing and I'm gonna keep banging on it until the dumb luck has a little bit of skill behind it. :redface:
  12. Ghunger

Apr 2, 2007
    Seattle, WA
    Ya, I knew it was going to be tough, I forgot to set the recorder for the weekend as I was out of town visiting my dad this weekend. :smile: Was holding out a bit of hope that I could watch the reair on Speed without hearing any results. Oh well. Guess I can still watch to see how they got where they did :wink:

On a side note, I was looking at your EXIF data for the photos you posted. Were those all with the Sigma or were some with the 300mm f/4 in your sig? Just wondering because I'm looking at getting one (300 f/4) myself for some motorsport photography. Seems like a good lens for it and the price is nice compared to a lot of it's bigger brothers.
  13. All of my shots this weekend were with a Sigma 120-300 f2.8 except for a few fisheye shots. It's a little soft for my taste - wish I had used the 300 f/4 for the 300mm shots. The f4's a little too slow with a TC, but fine at 300mm. I'm returning the Sigma to my dealer and ordering a 300VR.
  14. Great images Ron, thanks for sharing.
  15. Mainuh

Feb 20, 2007
    Southern Maine
    Nice shots Ron! Young Lewis is sure having himself a season so far!
  16. senna

Jan 6, 2007
    San Jose Ca.
    Great work Ron. :biggrin: