Using 105 Manual Lens on D200?

Discussion in 'Lens Lust' started by grt_napa, Jun 5, 2007.

1. A quick Newbie question. Can a 1989 vintage Nikon 105mm f/2.8 Macro Lens be used on a D200. Specifically...are there any mounting problems that I should know about involving older MF lenses and current DSLRs. Thanks...

2. AI and AIS Nikkors (including yours) work just fine except for a very few specialty lenses (I think).

3. ultimind

ultimind

May 13, 2007
    Cleveland, OH
    Usually anything that required mirror lockup won't work in D-SLR land. I'm not sure if this holds true for the D1 or D2 series cameras though.

4. Anything requiring mirror lockup is a pre-AI lens, and they won't work on the D1 or D2 series either. The DSLRs have a different type of mirror lockup - it's a two-click thing. Click once and the meter reads and locks, then the mirror goes up. Click again and the shutter runs - and the mirror returns to normal position.

The old F and F2 mirror lockup is a mechanical thing - it literally swings the mirror up and locks it there, permanently. This permitted some of the oldest designs of superwide lenses (21mm and wider, including the original 8mm/f8, 10/f5.6 OP and 6/f5.6) to literally extend into the throat of the camera, almost all the way to the shutter curtain. Certainly they blocked the mirror!

By the time AI and AIS lenses came around in 1977 and 1982 respectively, all of the superwides had been redesigned to use retrofocus designs, and the successors to those old lenses all stay well in front of the mirror path. As a result, the 6/f2.8, 8/f2.8, and every other AI/AIS lens less than 24mm works without needing mirror lockup - and also on DSLRs.