Using 2 strobes in commander mode

I have a d300s, a sb900 and just purchased a sb700. What I want to do is use both strobes off camera with shoot through umbrellas. I have used my sb900 many times in commander mode, used in ttl and manual mode. From looking at the commander mode menu im a little confused as to how to fire both units at different flash power levels.
This is how it looks like it will work, I would have one strobe in group A at a desired power level then the second strobe would have to be set to group B at its desired power level. Am I seeing that correctly?
If thats the case it looks like even if i use more the 2 strobes I can only get a max of 2 power levels, those in group A and those in group B. Is that right?
If you want to have more strobes with more then 2 power levels how do I do that pocket wizards??
If im not seeing that right can someone please explain.

Wayne is the man that can explain in words how to control multiple flashs within a group.

gvk

The SB-900 when used as master can control up to three groups, in addition to setting it's own power level. Also the SU-800 can control up to three groups. Each group can have multiple flashes, but all flashes in a group fire at the same compensation setting.

ok, i think i got it. So when using the commander mode i can get 2 groups, each with its own flash comp, when using the sb900 as a master i can get 3 groups each with it own flash comp. But by adding pocket wizards i can get much more flexibility right?

If you use the commander mode, you use the in camera pop up flash to trigger the remotes, but only have two groups (channel a and b) you can steer, even when using more then two flashes

You can get Pocketwizards but depending on the model would have TTL, or not.

If you use the TT5 models, you would have 3 groups but need the AC3 or the Nikon SU800 to steer the remotes in TTL mode ( or get a fourth flash to use a master, pretty expensive as you will already need a TT5 per flash unit)

The SU800 only will steer 3 groups, but the IR trigger makes it tricky when not all remotes are in line of field (which is highly probably when using umbrellas), using it outside

With the non TTL pocketwizards (Plus X, Plus III or Minimax you can use as many flashes as you have triggers, but no TTL

Photix Odin has a cheaper TT5-like (as far as TTL mode is concerned) trigger

Plus X I

With the Plus x I will be able to control flash power on each flash used, correct?

Nope

The Plus X I is a 'dumb' trigger, no remote control of the flash settings ( so no TTL, no remote change of modes, no eg switch between TTL and manual from behind the camera). So if you want to change the output of the remote, you have to walk over to it and manually change it.

That said, it's been the golden standard for radiotriggers for years, ultra reliable and robust.

To be able to change the settings on the remotes from behind the camera, either use the commander mode from the camera, or from the master flash (SB700, SB800, SB900, SB910), or SU800 for use with IR triggering.

Or for more reliable non line of sight use a PW TT5/Mini radio trigger with masterflash (not my recommended setup, big, topheavy and the PW TT5/Mini has a fragile plastic foot) or better a SU800 or AC3.

The Phottix Odin trigger allow this as well.

HTH

Last edited by a moderator:
I have the new Yongnuo YN-622 flash triggers and can confirm that they work well with the SU-800 and 2 SB-800s. Basically, it allows you to use radio instead of IR to control the flash system in TTL. I'ts a lot cheaper than the PW system, but ends up being about the same price as an Odin, if you don't already have the SU800.

Latest threads

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Forum GIFs powered by GIPHY: https://giphy.com/
Copyright © Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom