Using 3 SB 600: Enough to light up a car?

Hello.

I have a dillema and I'm hoping you guys can shed some light here. I now will start taking photos of cars outdoors and I was wondering if a 3 light set up with 3 SB 600 and 3 Photek Softlighters are enough to light a car?

or is it better to just go with two powerful strobes like an AB800 and 2 octabox?

Need a little bit more info. Is this at night? Inside or outside the car? If outside the car at night, I think you're borderline with the softlighters, but could always go bare in a pinch, or mix/match (1 bare, 2 softlighters, etc.). If daytime, then you'll need a lot more power than 3 SB-600s can supply unless, again, you're willing to go bare.

Need a little bit more info. Is this at night? Inside or outside the car? If outside the car at night, I think you're borderline with the softlighters, but could always go bare in a pinch, or mix/match (1 bare, 2 softlighters, etc.). If daytime, then you'll need a lot more power than 3 SB-600s can supply unless, again, you're willing to go bare.
Sorry.

This will be around 6-7 pm, in this area, its around the time the sun begins to set.

By going bare, wouldn't the light falloff be further than the object? I'm sorry if that doesn't make sense, I'm a still pretty new to strobes. I thought the idea of adding a modifier is to be able to control the light.

If I do go bare w/ my speedlights, would you recommend like a Gary Fong diffuser at least?

i once shot with a sb25 and sb28 at night and any diffusion wouldnt light it enough. so i went bare strobe and at full power then i was able to get a decent exposure. might be different with you since you will be using 3...

No. You need an understanding of how to shoot cars as well. It's like shooting a giant mirror, so if you don't setup your lights and modifiers first to accentuate lines and create speculars, then your going to have reflections of flash heads and/or modifiers. If you do what seems to be popular with people shooting cars with Alien Bees and point three bare flashes at the ground around the car, the car is going to be lit with a reflection of the ground. This will leave the top of the car not exposed properly and if you're in gravel or asphalt or anything but a nice smooth area, it can end up looking like crap.

Start googling car lighting setups and look at the setups and the final shots and find out what they're doing in the ones you like and copy that. Just try to avoid the AB setup I was describing. Personally I like the exiperiments I've done using reflectors and firing lights off of them. I'll also be purchasing several strip boxes to use as well.

Top Bottom