1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

Using a Canon flash with a Nikon body...

Discussion in 'General flash photography, lighting, and technique' started by lupedelupe, Aug 14, 2009.

1. Just wondering... how compatible are the Canon flashes (say a 580EX) with Nikon (DSLR) bodies...

2. Hello, welcome to the Cafe.

You may have a voltage issues which could damage both units. Having said that, you probably could fire manual only, no TTL.

Personally, I would not take the risk with the voltage issues just for manual mode? Buy a used Nikon Speedlight or a radio trigger...

3. Hmmm... as I feared. Thank you kindly mdnativ.

4. WayneF

WayneF

Apr 3, 2006
    Texas

Not at all compatible on the hot shoe. Different systems. Hot shoe has the large center trigger pin (which is compatible) and a few extra pins (not compatible). The extra pins on the hot shoe are very different between Nikon and Canon. Here is a link that shows the differences: http://www.seacamusa.com/hotshoe-pins.shtml#nikon Guessing, probably there would be no damage, but it cannot work right on the hot shoe.

However, it or any flash should be compatible (in manual mode) on a PC sync cord or with optical or radio trigger. The one caution is that some old flashes have excessively high sync voltage for the PC cord, but that should not be applicable to either the Nikon or Canon speedlights.

5. Thanks for the info and link Wayne.
    Have an SB-?? stashed somewhere, just can't find the darn thing!

6. some nice radio triggers out there. low/cheaper end ebay triggers - cactus triggers.

7. Weston

Weston

Dec 29, 2008
    Springfield, OR
    I tried there most basic flash on my D40, but it would only fire at full power.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.