using auto ISO/ bright sun/lots of white

Discussion in 'General Technical Discussion' started by marc, Oct 2, 2005.

1. marc

marc Guest

i was presented with a difficult set of shooting circumstances this weekend

tennis- very bright sun, clear sky, and lots of white shirts, shorts etc.

i was shooting in m mode, and shutter p for stop motion.

1/2000 , f3-f6, some ev push + or - depending on where the sun was, in relation to players.

in this lighting, i exposed for my subject, the player, to attempt to expose for highlights, would have created extremely underexposed photos.

after about 1 hour, of constant fidgeting with camera, to try and reduce blow out, i tried something, i have not done before.

with camera in m and shutter mode, i turned on ISO auto.

this allowed camera to have another shooting parameter to help with the brightness, it worked incredibly well, while certainly there is a danger of noise, because most of the photos where , exposing correctly, the noise never was an issue.

i must say the photos came out clear, sharp and with correct wb.

i am interested in your comments, re; iso auto etc.

have any of you used iso auto for similar conditions

thanks
    marc

2. marc

marc Guest

nobody using iso auto?

or just no help?

3. MontyDog

MontyDog

Jan 30, 2005
    #1064 - You have an error in your SQL syntax;

4. marc

marc Guest

paul

i was shooting a tennis tournament
    very bright sun, plus white clothing
    i expose for my subject, not the highlights
    i found that using auto ISO, it helped tremendously with helping to, reduce the blown highlights

wanted to keep shuter at 1/2000

posting photos , they are sharp and full of detail

this was just to get some feed back on auto ISO, i have never used it before, but it definitely seems to have helped.

thanks
    marc

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

5. jfrancis

jfrancis

May 8, 2005
    Orlando, FL
    Interesting. I don't understand why this would have helped to avoid blown highlights though. The first shot still seems like detail has been lost in the player's shirt.

6. Perhaps it would be best next time to simply ask the players to wear a darker shirt.
    But seriously...

I never use auto-iso on my camera. Now I'm using a D2H, which isn't the best with keeping noise down at high ISO's, so my habit is to keep my ISO as low as possible. But truthfully, if you have ample light and exposure information, noise shouldn't be much of a problem on any camera.

But in general, I don't really see any benefit to using a higher ISO when you have ample lighting, such as in these pics you posted. I associate higher ISO's to auto-ISO because I don't really see why you should choose anything higher than necessary in general. Am I missing something?

You did not post the ISO that your auto selection provided, so we can't really evaluate that. I'm curious what it selected. Perhaps the images were improved because you were initially shooting at a higher ISO than the camera selected?

I don't see a benefit to shooting at a higher ISO than you have to. Can anybody comment?

7. Someone tell me if I'm wrong, but auto ISO would have no effect on weather shots are blown or not.
    I think auto-ISO just bumps ISO up in low light. No effect in these.
    Limited latitude of digital(or film for that matter) is the issue.

Get a gray card to meter on or use the "sunny-16 rule" or meter on a patch of sunlit green grass(about 18%).

Use your blinky highlights to review shots on the fly.

Histogram, histogram, histogram.

Any white wedding shooter will tell you some situations (white sunlit shirts mixed with shaded areas) are just asking the impossible.

8. PeterRH

PeterRH Guest

Auto ISO problems in bright light

There is often a problem with auto ISO in bright light if you are using manual exposure mode.

In dim light you can insist on the camera choosing - say - 1/250 sec at f/5.6 and the camera will adjust ISO to suit if the exposure would need more than these settings.

But in bright light the exposure - 1/250 at f/5.6 - may result in over-exposure even when at minimum ISO, but the camera will still shoot because it is in manual mode.

Sorry if this is obvious and you were most likely already aware that this would happen, but I know a couple of guys who keep their cams on auto ISO and have fallen foul of this.

9. MontyDog

MontyDog

Jan 30, 2005
    #1064 - You have an error in your SQL syntax;

10. cwilt

cwilt

Apr 24, 2005
    Denver, CO
    I often use auto ISO with manual exposure on the D2x when in poor light. That allows me to maintain creative control of the shutter and apeture. Often this is used in combination with spot metering and ev adjustment to expose skin correctly. I did not like it on the D70 but find it usefull on the 2x.

My novice opinion. :wink: