Using Carol Steele's Settings

Discussion in 'Nikon DX DSLR' started by Catz, Apr 20, 2005.

1. This is just an ordinary picture. I shot this as a test.

Please critique me on your thoughts.

Thank you all,

Using some of Gales suggestions:

2. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    Well Sweetie on an not quite greatly calibrated monitor.

I looks a bit dark to me and lacks some pop and maybe some sharpening ..

Now remember this is the internet, and does not always show what you see.

Keep practicing shoot everything you see. Watch your light. Hard thing to learn and I am far from good at it.

Keep up the good work.

3. Thanks Gale

Hi Gale,

Thanks for the help. I lightened the picture up a bit and sharpened it plus added some contrast. As for calibration, I think it is time to recalibrate my monitor. It has been a while.

Also I wonder if it has something to do with shooting in RGB instead of sRGB. What do you think? Would that give the pictures more punch? Any ideas?

4. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    100% better.

Why are you not SHOOtING RAWWWWWWW girl.

Always shoot raw. You have much more to work with.

Nikon Capture is worth having.. Get it. Yeah Yeah I learned the hard way. Always do :>)))

I found a great printer service here local. Boy did he show me what my monitor ws giving me.

Hi fixes everything for me, and does not even charge me. I learned more in 30 minutes than in 4 years from him.

Get a Spyder hardware calibrator for your monitor.... 189.00 dollars.

I almost hit the buy button. grrrr

No end to $$$$$$$$$$

but I gotta watch close on that. Old woman on SS.. They say if you make 2 dollars more we take one back.

5. The second image is much better Mellisa.

6. Thanks, Gale,

You are so right about $$$$$$$...It seems like there is never enough to go around.

I do shoot RAW sometimes but I'm not too good with Capture. In fact, Gale, I am still reading Ron's e-book but haven't got as far as the Capture info. As soon as I do, I will follow along with his book. Reading an e-book on the computer hurts my eyes. I sure wish it was in a hardback or manual type book :)

As for a Calibration system goes, I bought the Monoco last year so I need to re calibrate it. There just isn't enough time in the day :lol:

7. Thank you Gordon. Appreciate the input.

8. Melissa -

The first pic is a bit dark overall, but the second one looks to have blown-out areas. Shooting this in RAW and applying some of the techniques in Ron's book will show you how to achieve a better balance between the two extremes. It is possible to expose the scene for the highlights, balance the colors in the shadow areas, and push the gamma just enough to brighten the image somewhat.

I realize it's a steep learning curve, but the deeper you get into it the more it becomes second nature when processing (and therefore goes a bit faster).

Keep plugging away at the book; the results will be worth it. I promise. :)

9. Carol Steele

Carol Steele Guest

Those settings were recommendations for shooting RAW Melissa and generally prevents blown highlights. Then in Nikon Capture you tweak the exposure and curve to give the right balance.

10. Thank you Carol...I learned one more thing today. I'm sorry if I misunderstood if the settings were for jpg or RAW. Now I know.

11. GeeJay

GeeJay

Jan 26, 2005
    Florida
    Melissa,

I agree with everything said in the posts..... and I sure learned a bunch from everyone.

Thanks for posting the picture and all the responses.

Gaye

12. Thanks David,

I will step up the reading pace on Ron's book. I do have a question. How do I expose for the hightlights? Do I set the aperture and shutter on the highlighted part of the picture which I believe the camera brings the hightlights up in the LCD? (I shoot M mostly).

13. Thanks Gaye for popping in. I love all of the responses too and will apply them on the next one.

14. i would love to shoot raw as soon as I can get a CD version of capture. I understand capture is due out in 4.3 soon and it is a supposidly speedier version.

15. "Exposing the scene for highlights" to me means taking the picture at whatever exposure settings will retain the detail and correct color balance for the brightest areas of the subject (that are still worth keeping).

I realize that this was just a test shot, but if you pretend for a moment that it's something really important, then perhaps the sunlit wall of the house directly ahead would be an area of highlight to expose for. I wouldn't meter off of it (in the camera, anyway), but being aware that it's there would tell me to watch for a sizeable chunk on the right side of the histogram to make sure that it wasn't maxed out (ie. solid white). And with the 2x, you can look at the individual color channels to make sure they all are within range.

Once you've taken a shot (or 2, 3, whatever) to avoid the highlights blowing out, then you need to process the photo using your preferred method, and you would likely want to push the gamma up to bring the midtones back into line.

It's possible that none of this makes any sense, but after you read the eBook hopefully it will.... :)

In all seriousness, I just don't know how to answer your question without saying "read the ebook".