1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

Using D200/D300 popup as commander, can you turn off the flash?

Discussion in 'General flash photography, lighting, and technique' started by hotrod4x5, Jul 19, 2008.

1. Ok, I know this has been asked and answered, and I thought I knew the answer, but someone on another forum is telling me he can turn his flash off on his D200, and still have it function as commander for his SB-800.

Am I missing something here? I thought the pop-up emits preflashes and that triggers the SB-800, right? There isn't anyway to turn off the actual visible flash and still have it be commander, is there?

2. Yes there is. You set the on board flash value to "--" in the menu. I think you still get a little flash to trigger the slaves but it won't contribute to the exposure.

Ronnie

3. Thanks Ronnie. That's what I was thinking about, was the pre-flashes, there is no way to turn those off, however.

4. No way since that's how the commander talks to the remotes. You can separate them from the main flash using FV lock though.

Ronnie

5. Dayo

Dayo

May 1, 2006
    Bahrain
    Note that those pre flashes can contribute to exposure when doing close ups. Using FV Lock gets around this.

6. The pre-flashes are before the exposure so if the commander flash has it's value set to -/- it just uses the pre-flashes to communicate but will not fire during the actual exposure.

7. ddrg

ddrg

Jul 3, 2006
    I use the SG-3IR all the time on my D80 with either my SB-600's or my Elinchroms. No visible light from your camera's flash will register in the exposure, which is important when taking images os reflective surfaces. Hope this helps... Duncan

8. ddrg

ddrg

Jul 3, 2006
    Try taking an image of a reflective surface - you'll see the camera's flash even when set to '-/-'.

9. mchung

mchung

Sep 17, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    Right, and there is a noticeable contribution from the flash to the exposure in -/- mode regardless of whether you see it in a shiny object. It's more noticeable as you would expect when the camera is closer to the subject, and pretty much minimal when further away. I have verified this with the SU-800 versus the on-board commander.

Martin

10. Lurker

Lurker

Jul 21, 2007
    NJ
  11. No problem Bart, I think many of us were mesmerized by that one thread.

Now back to our regularly scheduled photography program!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.