Using D200/D300 popup as commander, can you turn off the flash?

Ok, I know this has been asked and answered, and I thought I knew the answer, but someone on another forum is telling me he can turn his flash off on his D200, and still have it function as commander for his SB-800.

Am I missing something here? I thought the pop-up emits preflashes and that triggers the SB-800, right? There isn't anyway to turn off the actual visible flash and still have it be commander, is there?

Yes there is. You set the on board flash value to "--" in the menu. I think you still get a little flash to trigger the slaves but it won't contribute to the exposure.

Ronnie

The pre-flashes are before the exposure so if the commander flash has it's value set to -/- it just uses the pre-flashes to communicate but will not fire during the actual exposure.

I use the SG-3IR all the time on my D80 with either my SB-600's or my Elinchroms. No visible light from your camera's flash will register in the exposure, which is important when taking images os reflective surfaces. Hope this helps... Duncan

Try taking an image of a reflective surface - you'll see the camera's flash even when set to '-/-'.

Try taking an image of a reflective surface - you'll see the camera's flash even when set to '-/-'.
Right, and there is a noticeable contribution from the flash to the exposure in -/- mode regardless of whether you see it in a shiny object. It's more noticeable as you would expect when the camera is closer to the subject, and pretty much minimal when further away. I have verified this with the SU-800 versus the on-board commander.

Martin

Anybody have this little thing? http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/410445-REG/Nikon_4905_SG_31R_IR_Panel.html
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)
Sorry, didn't see this post earlier. Yes, I have. Works good. Somewhere down the line you really want the SU-800 though.

But until then that little screen works great!

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom