?: Using flash with HDR

Hello everyone,

Always great to be with you!

Im brand new to HDR photography and I also enjoy taking images with off camera flash. I wanted to combine the two and see what I can do, however, Im not exactly sure as to the best approach.

If I am shooting at sunset in the desert and want to add flash to say, a cactus, would it be best to use the flash on just one of the exposures and take the other bracketed shots without the flash? Or, rather take them all with flash and just bracket the ambient light?

In addition, I guess you can do the bracketing with all flash images as well.

What would be the best approach to this? Is it a situation where its just trial and error or do you think there is an ideal way to tackle this?

Thank you so much for your expertise and time. I always appreciate hearing from you!

best,

Rick

Growltiger

Administrator
Administrator
Interesting question, I have never come across flash HDR.
I suggest you try the following.
  • You would need to use Manual mode, and you would need the same lighting for every shot, providing the same balance of ambient and flash.
  • So set it up like that and make sure you are getting a correctly exposed shot.
  • Next, simply change the aperture and repeat the identical shot. That will change the amount of light from both flash and ambient equally.
  • Repeat with more aperture settings.
I'm sure there are alternatives, such as bracketing ambient and not the flash, or vice versa, but that sounds a bit harder to get right. It depends so much on what you are trying to achieve. I look forward to seeing some results here.

Real Name
(Mike) Michael Skerritt.
I wonder if you just have your camera set up in bracketing mode IE. One over one proper and one under exposed by one stop will that changes automatically for you .I think it should work? and should be fun.
But then again I have never had cause to do that myself.:stop::playful:(y)
Mike

Thank you very much Richard and Mike! Great to hear from you!
Will give it a go and see what happens!
Here is one I did some years ago with one flash, but not HDR:

7390 phoenix az

Sorry I posted a link instead of the actual image :unsure:

Talk soon!

Rick

Real Name
(Mike) Michael Skerritt.
Nice shot Rick. So please tell us haw you captured it. Did you use the auto bracketing in camera or the old school method?
Cheers.
Mike

Interesting subject and one which I only practiced recently.

I'm not sure if this is the correct method, but I had the flash on TTL and -0.7EV, then just operated the camera using 5 stop bracketing.

Thanks Mike and Richard! There is a little write up about the shot just below it on my Flickr page. It was a pretty easy shot but not HDR. I just did some processing in Photoshop to liven it up a bit. Through the lens it was kind of a boring shot, but curve adjustments, saturation, etc. work wonders ha ha! Take care and thanks so much for your input! Cheers, Rick

Great photo and the highlights are well controlled. It was a similar situation I recently faced, hence the use of the flash. I will get around to processing the HDR versions, plus reworking these images, as they were processed while on holiday using the laptop. The flash with modifier was used to help bring out details of the rock overhead.

Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom