Using HDR

Discussion in 'Adobe Processing Products' started by rlacy, Jul 12, 2008.

1. rlacy

rlacy

Apr 22, 2007
    San Diego
    I hope this is the right forum for this question, I looked and am a little unsure about where to post this, so here goes.

I have used Photomatrix trial version of HDR and appreciate its ability to expand the dynamic range of the photo. Gives detail in the blacks/shadows and yet can hold the detail in the highlights. That use of the product is obvious to me.

Recently I have been reading posts where the photographer will take multiple images of the same scene even when the DR is probably narrow enough that one exposure would be OK. The reason for the multiple images, combined in an HDR tool is that regardless of the DR of the scene, multiple images combined in one of these programs will produce a "better" photo. Better meaning more detail in all areas of the image and better resolution.

Anyway, that is my impression of the technique. Can anyone verify that I am right in my understanding, or have I missed the point? If anyone can help me to understand this I would be most appreciative.

Since I take mostly landscapes, this sounds like it would be a very useful technique to gain as much detail and resolution in an image.

Thanks in advance for any advice, assistance, opinions, etc.

Ron

2. isayx3

isayx3

Apr 12, 2008
    Corona, Ca
    Sounds like you have the basic idea down. Just don't get too crazy...subtle HDR is really nice...but overdone HDR photos are pretty bad (and pretty trendy at the moment).

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.