Using LAB color channels to more effectively create masks

Discussion in 'Retouching and Post Processing' started by jfriend, Nov 13, 2005.

1. jfriend

jfriend

Nov 11, 2005
    SF Bay Area
    For awhile now, a group of folks have been working their way through Dan Margulis' book on using LAB color mode in Photoshop and writing up a summary of each chapter as they make their way through the book. I've read the book myself, but still find the chapter summaries most interesting and useful.

The latest writeup is here and is about Chapter 9 in the book. It's about using the LAB A and B channels to more powerfully or easily create masks or selections in Photoshop based on color. The big advantage to this method vs using channels in RGB mode is that LAB separates out luminosity from the color so, for some masks, it can be a lot easier. Anyway, the writeup describes it much better than I.

The previous chapter summaries are here.

2. Wow... very neat!

A light bulb just flashed in my head when I looked at that summary. It seems that no matter how much I learn about PhotoShop, I'm always just scratching the surface. Thanks for posting this!

3. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    Thanks John,
    I do have the book and have been reading on dgrin.

Good stuff.
    So much to learn.

4. Thanks for the link and references. I've been experimenting without benefit of reading more on LAB. This will really help a lot.

Many thanks,

Virginia
    aka beaucamera

5. I don't have the book John but I will check for it on amazon.com when I get a chance.