Using lens hoods ?

Discussion in 'Lens Lust' started by bmiller, Jul 22, 2007.

1. Does anyone use a lens hood on a regular basis? I have them for most of my lenses, but never use them. The only time i can see putting them on them is on a bright sunny day. I don't shoot into the sun, unless it's absolutely necessary.
    They take up too much room in my bag.
    I guess i should try them to see if there is any difference.

Everybody have fun tonight,everybody Wang Chung tonight.

2. all the time. They improve contrast and reduce glare in almost any light. They also provide a degree of protection to my front lens elements.

3. Always

4. Zee71

Zee71

Apr 1, 2007
    Queens, NY
    Everybody wang chung!!!!

I use my lens hood on a regular basis outdoors, but not typically indoors when using a flash. You might use a lens hood indoor when not using a flash, and you're taking photos on a tripod. Bottom line........it's all depends on what you're shooting.

5. I almost always use a hood, for protection.

6. davidzvi

davidzvi

Apr 30, 2005
    Massachusetts
    David
    Almost always, I bought a used 28-105 that didn't come with one and I have not had the time to get one. Other than that lens the answer is always.

7. slappomatt

slappomatt

May 13, 2006
    San Diego CA
    probably 90% of the time. I have heard of some lens that just dont have good contrast without them. the hood is part of the lens design. why not use it? reversed they dont take up all that much room.

8. onemorelens

onemorelens

Jul 3, 2007
    california
    I dont use filters most of the time so I almost always have a hood on to protect against fingers.

9. Well that's it. I'm dragging mine out of the bag. If nothing else i'll look cool.
    Kinda goofy from nightshift.
    Brad

10. ZBaum

ZBaum Guest

I always use them for the lenses I own that have them. As others have said, they help improve contrast in any light, reduce glare, and they provide protection. I'd rather replace a $30-$50 lens hood than the front element(s) of my $300+ lenses.

11. All day, everyday--except for those rare occasions when I use a polarizer or using a ND Filter in my Cokin Filter holder.

12. Always. With polarizers I sometimes don't but use them with them most of the time anyway though it makes it a little harder to turn the CP.

13. paradiddle

paradiddle

Jun 1, 2007
    U.S.A
    Wow - what an interesting thread. I never use mine. I will start and see if I notice a difference. Thanks for the thread.

14. Hi there

I'd like to add something that someone could have missed. Wang said "I don't shoot into the sun": to tell the truth, this is just the case in which the hood is USELESS, since the light strikes directly the front lens. The hood is required for the SIDE lens that:
    1) could fool (partially or completely) your camera exposure meter: just think of a spot light in the dark at your side
    2) The light hitting your front lens could make dust eventually present on it "shining" thus giving other problems about final image quality.
    Hope this helps.

15. Ken Rockwell doesn't use them. What's up with that?

16. Hi Wang

personally I've never considered him a real photographer rather some kind of showman able to manage his "fame" more than a camera. Just imho.
    Here we'd say "Tutto fumo e niente arrosto". The way he writes (like God on Earth, He Only Knows All) let me suppose it, and I haven't any proof of the contrary, but, as said, it's just an opinion.

17. cotdt

cotdt

Jul 14, 2007
    Bay Area, USA
    i never noticed any difference without the hood

18. i always use mine. will help with contrast. david

19. Bracer

Bracer

Feb 20, 2006
    Markham, Ontario
    The hood that comes with the 28-105 is terrible. I use my hoods all the time on almost every lens but almost never on the 28-105.