Using Nik Sharpen 3 to soften...

Discussion in 'Retouching and Post Processing' started by Joe Marques, Sep 13, 2008.

1. I'm trying the demo of Nik Sharpen Pro 3. Excellent so far. One of the interesting features is using the sliders to soften an image. The structure and local contrast sliders go from -100 to +100. On the minus side they soften, makes for a nice controlled portrait glow.

This photo is not a great sample photo, it was the photo I used to test sharpening because it's ISO 3200 and I pushed it another 1/2 stop so it's 4800. I wanted to see how Nik handled high ISO, which it did VERY well. Didn't add any noise to the image while sharpening the eyes and mouth nicely.:

Original on top, softened on bottom:
    [​IMG]

75% crops - orig left, soft right:

[​IMG]

This is a nice "added bonus" to a very impressive sharpening plug-in.

2. wbeem

wbeem

Feb 11, 2007
    Sanford, FL
    William Beem
    I may try the demo for it. I'm very happy with my purchase of Silver EFX, but I think OnOne's PhotoSuite does a better overall job for most of my needs. I also have Color EFX, but it doesn't seem to suit my needs as much as PhotoTools.

Another part of the OnOne Suite is Focal Point that does some of what you're suggesting here. It essentially softens or blurs the photo outside of a sweet spot that you define and it can make for some nice images - if you don't get carried away.