Using silicone/rubber bands on the Nikon 300mm f4 PF VR to reduce shutter vibration

I've been testing my Nikon 30mm f4 PF VR and despite my copy having the higher serial number which should updated firmware, I still find there's still some vibration issues at lower shutter speeds. When shooting with exposure delay mode, the images appear slightly sharper. Also compared to my 70-200mm f2.8 VR-II, there's noticeable vibration coming from the lens to my D750 shutter mechanism. That got me thinking about how in tennis, some people use rubber shock absorbers at the base of the racquet to dampen vibration. So I decided to place a silicone band near the base and several rubber bands around the lens. From initial test, I find there to be a very slight improvement at lower shutter speeds and at 1/320th and above to be little to no vibration induced blur at higher shutter speeds when compared to using the lens/camera combination using exposure delay mode.

It's nothing scientific or fully measured, but since I'm not sure I want to go Z mirrorless just for EFCS, I think using some sort of DIY lens dampening wouldn't hurt, plus rubber bands are cheaper than a new body! For silicone bands, I just use these:

https://www.amazon.com/DSLRKIT-Silicone-Rubber-Bracelet-Wristbands/dp/B00KL04PYQ/ref=sr_1_9?keywords=lens+silicone+bands&qid=1572455868&sr=8-9

If anyone is interested, I can take pictures of the setup on my 300mm f/4 PF VR + D750!

Butlerkid

Cafe Ambassador
Real Name
Karen
Thankfully I've not had this problem with my 300 PF, which I enjoy using. Why not send it in for examination and repair if needed?

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom