Using the Sigma 120-300mm Sport Lens for Ice Hockey

Discussion in 'Sports Photography' started by stphoto, Nov 13, 2017 at 1:57 PM.

1. stphoto

stphoto

Feb 8, 2008
    Syracuse, NY
    Picked up a well taken care of used Sigma 120-300 Sport lens from @Randy@Randy last week. Put it right to work on a Syracuse Crunch AHL hockey game. This is one sweet lens but heavy. I used a monopod with it. Hand holding, for me, would have been very fatiguing. Took a little getting used to the zooming as the Sigma is the reverse of all my Nikon zoom lenses.

As the War Memorial Arena has LED lighting, I set the aperture to f/4. When I use this lens for indoor football or night games, the f/2.8 will come into greater use. The other settings were 1/1000s, EV +1.3 and Auto ISO up to 6400 shooting with a Nikon D500. With the 1.5x crop, the lens turns into a 180-450mm f/2.8 lens.

Photos are cropped as needed.

i-vHxSJhj-L.
    ISO 2800

i-sWFghcw-L.
    ISO 3600

i-dXgBCQz-L.
    ISO 6400

i-q7Th3CH-L.
    ISO 4500

i-ZKW8hSG-L.
    ISO 3600

• Winner Winner x 1
  2. Nice captures! This lens is definitely a beast and one of the sharpest telephoto zooms in production. The weight is definitely an issue though, and it's a shame because previous models were actually hand-holdable. I have one, but I'm debating if I want to sell it or not.

3. stphoto

stphoto

Feb 8, 2008
    Syracuse, NY
    I got this lens more for field sports at night or high school games in the Carrier Dome and using it with a monopod will be just fine. It's how I use the Nikon 80-400VR f/3.5-5.6 lens for field sports during the day so I am used to it. I will rarely use it for hockey as the Nikon 70-200mm f/2.8 VR lens with the D500's crop factor covers AHL and High School hockey arenas well.

4. Looks great.

• Like Like x 1
  5. great shots and a great lens that is equal to the 300vr in IQ and AF speed, I hated to sell it

• Like Like x 1
  6. stphoto

stphoto

Feb 8, 2008
    Syracuse, NY
    I'm glad you did. :) Will get a lot of use come Spring with lacrosse and baseball.

7. Sweet shots! I always look forward to your crunch photos. It's a great way for me to keep tabs on my future lightning players.

• Like Like x 1
  8. asaya

asaya Subscribing Member

Aug 7, 2006
    Syracuse, NY
    Tony Saya
    Go CUSE guy nice crunch pictures

• Like Like x 1
  9. stphoto

stphoto

Feb 8, 2008
    Syracuse, NY
    The big team is doing great! The Crunch are rebuilding after going to the Calder Cup finals last season. Lots of good young talent who need time to figure out how to play against more experienced competition. They won this game but have three tough road games coming up this week.

10. Russ_

Russ_

Feb 20, 2011
    New Zealand
    Wow - can't believe you have! Still using and enjoying mine.

I can hand-hold it for rugby, but it does have down time at my side via a BlackRapid sling strap.

11. ijm5012

ijm5012

Jul 25, 2017
    How did you find the AF speed @stphoto@stphoto ? Some of the videos I've seen on YouTube show the 120-300 Sport having a slower AF motor than any of the semi-recent Nikon 300/2.8's, however it's also my understanding that the Sigma is shipped from the factory with the "accuracy" AF mode enabled, and that with the Sigma dock you can enable "speed" AF mode which I presume makes quite a bit of difference.

12. sprdv1

sprdv1

Oct 22, 2010
    Missouri
    Great shots...

13. Binnur

Binnur

Oct 4, 2017
    Izmir / Turkey
    Very sharp and clear images.